FR preferences

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hello all,

How would you prefer two 3.3'' fullrange gems in a closed box not bigger than an LS3/5a arranged? Touching together as a vertical double I suppose.
But would you run them in parallel with just BS correction...or 1.5 way trading 2dB for single source above 1kHz?
Hmm any expert opinions?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thanks for your input, I will mount 2 Visaton FRS8s (8 OHM version) on a 26X16X16 cm plywood cabinet front and back and experiment bipole, dipole, series & parallel. I will listen with 20W classA triode, measure accurately with calibrated mic, and I will post back my findings in this thread when I will reach to some conclusions.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Did it

Hello,

I built a pair of 26x16x16 cm boxes out of 15mm plywood and arranged 2 Visaton FRS8 parallel connected bipole (push push front and back). The driver centres are 10 cm down from top.
The sensitivity is 85 dB SPL for 2.83V @ 1m. They must sit on stands with their front baffles 60cm from back wall for best balance. I had to use a notch to cure an octave band forwardness from 1.5 to 2 kHz. I built, measured, and listened carefully to about 12 notch filter combinations. When I finalised the notch I got excellent results. The best thrill I ever got from listening to a small quality speaker (wait for 48hours for treble to open up, if the drivers are virgin). The Visatons are 15 Euro each so you can understand what I will recommend over a BBC for a small nearfield... Funny is that the result is far more exciting than a BBC too.
The Visatons go well for bass down to 80Hz arranged as such. I am posotive that the sound without notch is far inferior to the notched speaker. I am looking to experiment with TB W3-871s and I would like to know if anybody has experience from FRS8 and TB to tell me how do they compare. I am thinking of ordering a TB quad. Added sensitivity would be much better but I have seen diyers measurements of 82dB instead 87 TB says...

Attachments

• vfr3533026rs.jpg
    vfr3533026rs.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 1,098
and I will post back my findings in this thread when I will reach to some conclusions.
Please do so, eventually with some measurements.
Looks like a very frugal-phile(tm) and high regarded little speaker.

Nobody ever had used Visaton FRS8 and TB W3-871s ?
There was a recent thread here where somebody compared both in a little TQWT.
His findings were that the Tangband sounds superior to the FRS8 but only with a notch filter. He used these values : http://lautsprechershop.de/hifi/ct209.htm

Cyburgs is also a forum member you might wanna ask him yourself: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=29321

Dear Salas,

unfortunately my mail provider categorised your mail as spam, so I got it not earlier than now :smash:

Regarding Tangband W3-871S vs. Visaton FRS8: In my experience these two are exchangeable in a given enclosure, with following results:
- The Tangband needs to be notch-filtered, a good starting point is:
0,47mH
6,8uF
11Ohm
- The FRS8 normally needs no notch-filter
- When notch-filtered, the Tangband sounds better than the FRS8
- The FRS8 can handle more Volume, which is an important point when using a 3" in full-range mode.

The decision is not easy.

Nice greetings, Berndt

I made the comparison in following enclosure:

Attachments

• cyburgsneedle-eng.jpg
    cyburgsneedle-eng.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 691
ahhh, yes:

I tried the FRS8 also in a bipole configuration. One of the drivers works on a TQWP tuned to 70 Hz, the other on a closed enclosure of about 4l. On the picture you see one speaker from front and one speaker from back. Note the reflex port and the cable terminal on the back.
These 170cm babies make a very distinctive impression in every room, especially as they have to be put minimum 1 meter away from every wall due to the rear facing driver :D

Nice greetings, Berndt

Attachments

• janosch2.jpg
    janosch2.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 751
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Stunning column! bravo.
Mine works 50-60cm face to back wall and its very pleasing down to 80Hz. I urge you to use a notch on FRS8s too. Difference is night and day on mine.
True the visaton bipole takes some power but the TB looks like considerably more sensitive. Isnt it in practice? How about the HF air? which one sounds more open?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Pics

Some pics here. Listened with Gaiclone also. I prefer the 20W PP class A triode valve amp.
Gainclone is amazing value but still with cold ss heart.
The lil speaker is very revealing but it does not judge hard. Tends to highlight the good traits of the various amps driving it. It took the 30W GC (with 500VA toroid) without compressing or hitting stops. The volume was good for the 30sqm space we listened in.
As for the TangBand vs Visaton comparison, I will let you know in due time bcs 4 W3-871s are on their way to me :)

Attachments

• biponthemake.jpg
    biponthemake.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 638
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.