Building ML TL with Fostex FE 167 E

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello

I planning to build a ML TL with the fullrange 6"speaker from Fostex FE 167 E.
The dimensions will be height= 39" depht= 11'and wide = 7 1/2" and a port which will be round 3" and 2 1/2" long 1 1/4" from the bottum,

BSC will be L= 0,3 mH, C= 3,9 uF and R=4,7 ohm.

do i need any other correction network?

who has any ideas and who can help me ?

I used a crossoverdesign exel spreadsheet 2.03 from internet tried to design a bsc network without a zobel..

Why leave out the Zobel? The Zobel is what makes the BSC circuit resposne predictable and adjustable at high frequency.

What do you suggest for a better bsc and zobel..

The Zobel and BSC circuit I used for my ML TQWT should be closer to the correct values for your geometry. The FE-164 and FE-167E are similar so I would start with values as follows.

Zobel :
6.8 uF in series with 10 ohms.

BSC :
2, 3, 4, or 5 mH inductor (probably a 3 mH would be best) in parallel with a 4 to 8 ohm resistor.

The BSC circuit would be adjusted base on your amp and room placement. Without measurements all you can do is try different values until you get the combination that works best. I think your 0.3 mH inductor is diffinitely too small and I don't think the FE-167E will need the 3.9 uF cap to help the high end. The high end should be adequate. Again, trying the values is the final test.

are the demensions correct??

I don't know, how did you arrive at these dimensions? Do you have some simulation results? Without some analysis I don't know if this is a good geometry or not.

Martin

The geometry is from a ml tl with the Fostex FE 168 sigma ?
I see now the height must be 40 "
and the port is to short i think !!!

Just saw Rob Brines has even better plans with the same speaker that i want to use.. and yes he also uses a zobelnetwork

Sorry but i have no simulation results at all

Interestingly enough, my latest set of MLTL's for the FE167E does not use a zobel. Martin has been using a cap across the BSC filter, which changes the step filter into a low Q notch filter. The reason for doing this is to bring back some of the high frequency response that goes away with the step filter.

I found, at least with my cabinet, that by removing the zobel, the rising impedance of the driver does indeed cause the BSC filter to fail at high frequency and bring up the top end. This may be a little hot for some, but since I listen somewhat off-axis anyway, it is about right. 2mH||6ohm.

I'm not suggesting this is a silver bullet, but it does seem to work in this case.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Black=On Axis, Red=30deg off, Blue=60deg off, Gray=unsmoothed on axis

Bob

I have also tried removing the Zobel and notice the same increased high frequency response that is shown in your plots. This can be very effective. The only downside is the loss of adjustability and the changing response as you adjust the parallel resistor in the BSC circuit. If it works then that is the simple and low cost (less parts) solution. But leaving the Zobel in, and using a cap in the BSC circuit, allows for a greater amount of adjustability in the high frequenct response. Either method can work well and they are easy circuit configurations to try.

Ok so i just ordered the speakers "Fostex"FE 167 E
form germany..
I'll use the demensions from BOb's FT 1600 mk II
the port will be round 3 " and about 41/4" long
Instead of using a pvc tube i am thinking using wooden rings
to eleminate vabrations of a tube

weidok said:
Ok so i just ordered the speakers "Fostex"FE 167 E
form germany..
I'll use the demensions from BOb's FT 1600 mk II
the port will be round 3 " and about 41/4" long
Instead of using a pvc tube i am thinking using wooden rings
to eleminate vabrations of a tube

Remember that those are outside dimensions and assume 3/4" material. There is also a 1/4" cement board lining. The actual pipe dimensions are 40x8.5x8.5.

Bob

Cement board here in the US is a ceramic based material 1/4" thick that is used in (typically) home construction to put tile on, such as bathrooms, kitchens, etc.. I've used it in building TLs and highly recommend it to reduce cabinet vibrations. Other materials can be substituted if it is the same thickness, or you account for the thickness in your internal volume. Granite tile, ceramic tile or other types of floor tile can be used. A good construction adhesive can be used to attach it to the inside of the cabinet panels.

weidok said:
Bob,

Cement board can you explain that i really don't know what that is ??

Must i double the top ...

And are other users with the Fostex Fe 167 E or not ???

Please let me (us) know about and reply on this post ?

Timn8ter has it right. The brand I use is "Hardi-Backer", though this information is probably of little use outside North Amaerica. I used to recommend ceramic tiles, but the Hardi-Backer is much easier to cut to size.

Yes, double the top and line it with cement board, tile, whatever. You will be amazed at the difference this makes in the amout of vibration -- and sound -- coming from a thin top panel.

Bob

Leeuwarden said:
Sounds like it could be "beton-multiplex". It is available in a "bouwmarkt". It is a lot more expensive than normal multiplex.
It is certainly not "beton-multiplex". It is more like fermacell which is used as an alternative to waterproof "gipsplaat". You can buy fermacell at the professional building material shops like "Bouwmaat" not sure about diy shops.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.