Zobel with Jordan JX92s fullrange? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th September 2004, 04:29 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I put the zobel & BSC inside of the box, since I was "finishing" it
Been there, done that. Makes one start to consider external crossovers as part of the design.
Old 25th September 2004, 05:39 AM   #12
navin is offline navin  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to navin Send a message via Yahoo to navin
Quote:
Originally posted by tcpip
Ordinary ported box....GM and 7V had both been very helpful and encouraging. But I've since got caught up in another project.
BTW since you are the only person i know in India that has Jordan drivers of recent vintage (I knew of someone with the original jordan 50mm modules) how would you compare them with say a B&W 303, Epos ELS 3, Castle Richmond, Quad 11L or other speakers in that price range ($300-500/pair). The 92s cost about $270 per pair. add another $100 for cabinetry and we are looking at $350-400 per pair. I am looking at 3 pairs of a 6.1 system driven by a Marantz SR7000. The subs would be 4 x 12" (have not decided on the configuration yet) powered by a Carver 1.0t.

The sole reason for using the Carver is that it runs cool even in "virtually encolsed" conditions.

my intention is to use the system for HT and some music. the boxes i hope will look like something this http://www.musicalapproach.co.uk/news/KEF_KHT_9000.jpg

one other alternate i am considering (mostly due to WAF and my limited wood working skills) is speaker like the triangle titus, snell type Q, ALON/NOLA LITTLE RASCAL III, Monitor Audio 2.5, etc.
Old 25th September 2004, 12:31 PM   #13
tcpip is offline tcpip  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by navin
BTW since you are the only person i know in India that has Jordan drivers of recent vintage (I knew of someone with the original jordan 50mm modules) how would you compare them with say a B&W 303, Epos ELS 3, Castle Richmond, Quad 11L or other speakers in that price range ($300-500/pair).
Sorry Navin, no idea how those others sound. But I know some people who have heard very expensive finished speakers (e.g. Avalons, Dunlavys) and who then heard my Jordan drivers and said they sounded excellent. This is a very roundabout testimonial, but this is the best I have.
Quote:
The 92s cost about $270 per pair. add another $100 for cabinetry and we are looking at $350-400 per pair.
I bought them from the UK, and EJ Jordan sold them for UKP 77 each, I think. That makes it more like USD 200 per pair, I'd have thought. And my cabinetry costs for small ported cabinets was about Rs.5000 per pair, which tallies with your figure. However, if you will add a sub, you might as well make even smaller cabinets (e.g. the sealed cubes on the Jordan site), and cut costs a bit further, specially since you are talking of making half a dozen.

I don't know whether it's very important to you to really compare the Jordan against any specific benchmark. If not, then just try one pair and see for yourself --- they are so good that they will not disappoint you by any absolute standards.
Old 25th September 2004, 08:00 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

thanks for everything TCP. madisound i think has them listed for $135 each. Also I hope they offer a dicsount when someone is nuts enough to get 6.

my other alternate was the FX120 from Fostex. i hear is sounds great and it's big brother FX200 is part of the holy grail fullrange system on the fullrange driver site. but it has a 70Hz limit, a Xmax of only 2mm and is limited to about 10W rms. the difficult part of many fostex drivers is that few affordable LF units match their sound. otherwise drivers like the FF85K and the FX120 would be nice to try in a 1.5 way.
Old 26th September 2004, 02:40 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Default Zobel with Jx92s - evaluation

Just finished pulling my my BSC/zobel out of my GM-designed Jordan MLTL's.

So:

With driver brace, zobel, BSC removed - I've got my nice speakers back!

With the driver brace - no difference with it tightened/off that I could tell.

With the BSC - a little better on the lows. Drums & bass sound like drums & bass. Might be a little boomy, but I'll wait until I get my mic & preamp and measure the frequency response.

With the zobel - the highs are gone, baby, gone .

So it's now running with the BSC (1.2 mH 2.4 ohm parallel). Michael McDonald sounds nice and full, which makes the spouse happy... which makes me happy
Old 27th September 2004, 06:02 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

cheese,

what music do you listen to?

do you have a pic of the nice speaker?

Thanks.
Old 27th September 2004, 01:58 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
what music do you listen to?

do you have a pic of the nice speaker?
Navin,

pics below:

Click the image to open in full size.
As you can tell, these are now the fronts for HT. We played the Star Wars DVD's the last couple of days. Very good.
Click the image to open in full size.
The speakers are made of oak-veneered MDF, cut 45 deg on edge for the joints. The top was oak veneer glued on with contact cement; the edges on the sides facing the front have iron-on veneer. No joints visible. Finish is stain + several coats of polyurethane; I used 000 steel wool after the final coat.

Music... most often played between the spouse and I

Older stuff: Police, Steely Dan, Eagles, Elvis Costello, Elton John... all sounds pretty good.
Female vocals k.d. lang, Indigo Girls, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Alison Krauss (sounds wonderful on the speakers)
a little (alt)-country - Dixie Chicks, Lyle Lovett, Neko Case
My brother-in-law said that Dave Matthews was so-so before BSC, with it I can't get him from in front of the speakers...

Things that sound lousy:
The Beatles One album (sounds harsh?) - can't even play it.
Eric Clapton/Derek & the Dominos/Layla sounds really thin & flat.

Next steps:
1) Get a preamp & mic & learn Speaker Workshop! See what additional tweaks might be necessary.
2) Build a sub - I'm thinking of a Shiva, sealed.

cheesehead
Old 27th September 2004, 02:12 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cheesehead
pics below:

Music... Police, Steely Dan, Eagles, Elvis Costello, Elton John...
Things that sound lousy:
The Beatles One album (sounds harsh?) - can't even play it.
Eric Clapton/Derek & the Dominos/Layla sounds really thin & flat....2) Build a sub - I'm thinking of a Shiva, sealed.
thanks. you mean to say u run these fullrange for HT with no sub at the present? wow! HT usually requires a lot of air esp for the special effects. my intention is to run these from my HT/AVR with the AVR speaker set up set to small (XO at 100hz).

Have you tried heavier music (Black Sabbath, Aerosmith, Who, Stones, AC/DC, etc..). which beatles album sounds flat i have quite a few of them. Do other EC albums sound thin too (I assume this is after BSC)?

thanks again and sorry for being such a pest.
Old 27th September 2004, 02:40 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
you mean to say u run these fullrange for HT with no sub at the present?
Yes. And the speakers are set for "large" with the LFE re-directed to them. It's not the full experience, but it's still pretty darned good. I could feel explosions through the floor when my kids were watching the original Star Wars downstairs.
Quote:
Have you tried heavier music (Black Sabbath, Aerosmith, Who, Stones, AC/DC, etc..). which beatles album sounds flat... Do other EC albums sound thin too
Don't have much of that; what I have is on vinyl and my turntable or receiver/preamp are screwed up. I've got the Beatles One on CD, and it's not flat, it's harsh. (Treble pumped up too high on the remaster?) Elvis Costello sounds fine, but those are rips I did from LP --> CD.
Old 27th September 2004, 06:11 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
my intention is to run these from my HT/AVR with the AVR speaker set up set to small (XO at 100hz).
Navin,
Have you thought of running the Jordans sealed? They should give a f3 of ~80 Hz in a 7.5 L volume... I know there are some posts on this on the fullrange forum.

Hide this!Advertise here!