fostex 6" quandry - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th September 2004, 12:22 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default Ft-1600

Those look great Bob. How does the Fostex driver do at high frequencies? Does it need a supertweeter to give it the '' air '' that some fullrangers seem to lack?
I`ve been admiring those tls of yours for a while now. Up to now i`ve only tried BR designs with the FX200s but i`m considering giving yours a try. Can you share the dimensions so i can try a set for myself?
Regards, Steve.
Old 14th September 2004, 05:45 AM   #12
navin is offline navin  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to navin Send a message via Yahoo to navin
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Brines
[BI.D. 40x8.5x8.5in port 3x4in. [/B]
we are looking at 42x10x10 outer dims considering 18mmm wood. just a bit larger than what my friend wants. he was looking at a 36"tall, 8" x 8" square.

Quote:
Tops not bad, but a super tweeter would help. Better hurry, though. I understand that teh are soon to be out-of-print.

If you look at the trace above, the FE167E goes strong to ~13K, then is down 3dB to above 20K. It does beam though. A super tweeter firing off-axis is often a good bet.
confused? will the F200A or FX200 be no longer produced? or are we talking about the 167?

so between the 3: 166, 167, 168 the 167 gets the nod for a small cabinet fullrange right? form what i understand so far the 168 was desinged for a horn. and the 167 is smoother than the 166. correct me if i am wrong.
Old 14th September 2004, 11:45 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
we are looking at 42x10x10 outer dims considering 18mmm wood. just a bit larger than what my friend wants. he was looking at a 36"tall, 8" x 8" square.
43x10.5x10.5 actually. You might be able to shoe-horn an FE167E into 36x8x8, but F3 will be 50Hz or higher.

Quote:
confused? will the F200A or FX200 be no longer produced? or are we talking about the 167?
The F200A and F120A are reported discontinued. I don't know about the FX200. The FE series is back in production in China.

Quote:
so between the 3: 166, 167, 168 the 167 gets the nod for a small cabinet fullrange right? form what i understand so far the 168 was desinged for a horn. and the 167 is smoother than the 166. correct me if i am wrong.
The FE167E is the one FE series driver with a Qts high enough to work in a BR or MLTL without resorting to a series resistor. All of the others are designed for back horns. I've never tried an FE166E because it won't work in the cabinets I design. Same goes for the 8"ers. The FE206E, the darling of the full-rangers, has way too low a Qts to work in a resonant cabinet. The FE207E is almost acceptable.

Bob
Old 14th September 2004, 02:45 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
43x10.5x10.5 actually. You might be able to shoe-horn an FE167E into 36x8x8, but F3 will be 50Hz or higher.
Bob
perfect. 50Hz is a bit higher than i expected (42Hz) but i assume the roll off wont be too fast and room gain (only 150 sq. ft with a 9 ft ceiling) will make up for it. right?
Old 14th September 2004, 05:58 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by navin

perfect. 50Hz is a bit higher than i expected (42Hz) but i assume the roll off wont be too fast and room gain (only 150 sq. ft with a 9 ft ceiling) will make up for it. right?
You need to model your proposal. Putting a driver in too small a pipe has the same basic result as putting it in too small a BR. You will get a hump at and above cut-off. The roll-off will be quite sharp and 4th order. Room gain will only help 1/2 octave below cut-off and room gain may well make the speaker boomy at cut-off. Hoffmann's Iron Rule rules.

Bob
Old 15th September 2004, 05:32 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

ooops!

ok since most of teh music will be jazz and vintage rock (1963-1980) i guess a in room F3 of 45Hz or so will do even if there is very little below that.

my worry however is the boom that Bob mentioned.

Hide this!Advertise here!