Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th August 2004, 04:00 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to johninCR Send a message via MSN to johninCR Send a message via Yahoo to johninCR
I believe Nelson was referring to this one:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=290-045

Also discussed here:
http://ldsg.snippets.org/sect-3.php3
Old 30th August 2004, 04:59 AM   #12
luigi is offline luigi  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Hi Falcott

FWIW, Fostex are available here (in New Zealand). You can get em via Syntec, an Aussie company with a satellite office in Auckland. I just got some FT17H's from them and am blown away with their quality.

To get an idea of price, go to Madisound and check out their prices, then double them (for NZ dollar prices).

OK, so the Fostex are not Rat Shack priced drivers but there's a whole mess of diferent drivers from inexpensive-ish to Ferrari-priced, if you get my drift.

Carry on

Luigi
Old 30th August 2004, 05:31 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

....and here
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/f...rstwatt_7.html
Old 30th August 2004, 08:32 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default fairytales

Quote:
Originally posted by THOR
well thats a myth IMHO
Well, I did start with "Once upon a time..."

The thing I object to is paying 4-figures for a single driver when I believe I can get something *almost* as good in the low 3's. Some people on the Single Driver site do actually rave about that R.S. 40-1354a auto speaker. Other than that, I can't comment, since I have never heard them; nor a Lowther, if it comes to that. Anyway, your rant was quite un-abnoxious Thor! I appreciate it when people who have learned the hard and expensive way pass along a little of their wisdom. I hope my path will be less hard and expensive!

Thanks everyone else too for the input.
And Luigi, for the NZ lead, cheers!

All I have to decide now is whether I am going to build the Voigts straight or folded. Six foot towers might appear a bit daunting in a smallish room. Other than that, I'm guessing they might sound slightly better than folded pipes...
Old 30th August 2004, 09:09 AM   #15
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

We all want the best sound and would love to be able to buy the very best drivers and try them all.

However, it is a big risk to try a new speaker design and buy the best drivers straight off. I guessed that Falcott wants to try his Voigt pipes without going into debt for the next ten years and I think in those circumstances, trying a 'budget' driver (like the one I suggersted, or the Pioneer that Nelson put up) is fully justified. If you then like what you hear, it is time to decide if you want to commit to a big-buck driver.
Old 30th August 2004, 09:33 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Thanks Nuuk; well put.
Old 30th August 2004, 01:16 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
All I have to decide now is whether I am going to build the Voigts straight or folded. Six foot towers might appear a bit daunting in a smallish room. Other than that, I'm guessing they might sound slightly better than folded pipes...
In my experience and that of others there is no apparent performance difference between a Voigt and a folded pipe of the same parameters, although I do like the look of the Cain & Cain Abby
Old 30th August 2004, 07:01 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Thanks Timn8ter.
I should really start a new thread for this question, or actually do a search, (just too busy! ) but I have just found a spreadsheet on the web for calculating Pipe dimensions. I haven't had a close look at it, but I am interested in using the Fostex FE166E or FE206E drivers. What sort of figures do I have to enter into this spreadsheet to get the appropriate dimensions? Can anyone tell me, or should I just sit down and fiddle with the calcs for a while until it seems obvious?
Old 31st August 2004, 12:28 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Default FE206E ML TL

Quote:
Originally posted by falcott
Thanks Timn8ter.
I should really start a new thread for this question, or actually do a search, (just too busy! ) but I have just found a spreadsheet on the web for calculating Pipe dimensions. I haven't had a close look at it, but I am interested in using the Fostex FE166E or FE206E drivers. What sort of figures do I have to enter into this spreadsheet to get the appropriate dimensions? Can anyone tell me, or should I just sit down and fiddle with the calcs for a while until it seems obvious?

The FE206E (and 208E) has already been designed.

http://www.quarter-wave.com/Project05/Project05.html

Several people have built and the results seem favorable. The driver is a little bright without a BSC. All the details required on on that website.

Does anyone have any comments with regards to bracing this ML TL?

Cheers,
GM.
Old 31st August 2004, 02:13 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to THOR Send a message via Yahoo to THOR
Default hi Fallcott!:)

you will be delighted with either of these fostex they will bring you joyfull music!

Hide this!Advertise here!