Looking for full range design - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th August 2004, 06:44 PM   #1
jaybird is offline jaybird  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Looking for full range design

I'm looking for a full range tower design for music and HT. I'm very good at wood working and pretty good at soldering. I've made a couple of subs that work great. I don't have the time or experience to play around with crossover design, so I need something proven to work. I currently own some paradigm studio 100's and would like to build something better. Any suggestions? I would love to build a pair of Alpha LS but do not have the $2500 U.S. budget to get started. Thanks for any input
Old 10th August 2004, 06:56 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Looking for full range design

Quote:
Originally posted by jaybird
I'm looking for a full range tower design for music and HT. I'm very good at wood working and pretty good at soldering. I've made a couple of subs that work great. I don't have the time or experience to play around with crossover design, so I need something proven to work. I currently own some paradigm studio 100's and would like to build something better. Any suggestions? I would love to build a pair of Alpha LS but do not have the $2500 U.S. budget to get started. Thanks for any input
http://speakerbuilder.net/web_files/...oject/eros.htm

With the Mark 2 crossover, of course.
Old 10th August 2004, 07:04 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'm looking at the same thing, with mass-loaded transmission lines (MLTL). Here are my fave projects I'd like to try:

http://geocities.com/rbrines1/ Bob Brines' FT1600 Fostex FE167 pipe

http://www.quarter-wave.com/Project05/Project05.html Martin King's Fostex FE206/207 TL.

http://fullrangedriver.com/tiki-view...ind=&forumId=1
A Jordan Jx92s MLTL (fullrangedriver forum) I'm leaning towards this one. I think there's also pics posted here on diyaudio.

You could also take a look at anything in the fullrangedriver forum.

Have fun!

mk
Old 11th August 2004, 12:42 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Looking for full range design

I am also seriously considering the FE206E in a ML TL enclosure. The enclosure seems pretty straight forward and the driver costs are reasonable given the quality.

I too would like to use the speakers for both 2-channel music and as a the two front speakers of a HT. Is this a good idea? The Fostex drivers have a sensivity of about 96, while the surround speakers will only be about 88-91?

Another thing I am wondering about is the BSC. By looking at the FR of the FE206E, the mid and highs take off to over 100dB. Therefore I think the BSC will be a requirment. The problem is the series resitor will be different for every amp. I guess that will be a trial and error thing.

As for the series resistor on the BSC, how will that affect the efficiency? I know it will drop, but by how much?

The 207 is sheilded, but dies off after about 14k, so it may need a tweeter for some help.

Cheers,
GM.

Quote:
Originally posted by cheesehead

http://www.quarter-wave.com/Project05/Project05.html Martin King's Fostex FE206/207 TL.

mk
Old 11th August 2004, 01:21 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the input.
454Casull have you built and heard these speakers? They seem to be a good design, I just wanted to know if there were some reviews from others that have heard them?
Old 11th August 2004, 01:36 PM   #6
zobsky is offline zobsky  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:

i think he means "full range" as in a proven design for a multi-way fullrange speaker system, .. as opposed to a single driver/ wide range speaker
Old 11th August 2004, 04:40 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I'm sorry. You are correct. I want to build a speaker that will hit hard at 30-40hz. Size is not a limiting factor (within reason). I would like the speaker to be able to hit clean reference levels with 200watts of power.
Old 11th August 2004, 05:18 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Here are a couple more to choose from. Its funny that I had all the same plans in mind for my next build.

It seems that you are leaning toward MT-TL type speakers. I guess power and size are not an issue, but wha is your budgett?
What kinds of muisc do you listen to, how big is your room?

FWIW I built the FT-1600 and I feel that it is too small for my room and it has a few shortcomings. However, it does sound nice for accoustic music. But, my musical tastes vary a bit more so I'm looking into other designs.

Horns are intriguing also but I'm not too sure that there are many proven designs to date. I think I'll wait awhile....

http://www.decware.com/HDT/hdt.htm

http://www.seas.no/thor.htm
Old 11th August 2004, 10:58 PM   #9
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I want to build a speaker that will hit hard at 30-40hz. Size is not a limiting factor (within reason). I would like the speaker to be able to hit clean reference levels with 200watts of power.
Hmm, an Adire HE12.1 in a ~9.49ft^3 ML-TL tuned to ~36Hz easily meets this with its ~96dB/W/m half space efficiency all the way down to 40Hz. That's a lot of 'bang for the buck'.

GM

Hide this!Advertise here!