Fostex Enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Im so glad you posted this question because I was about to go down the same path and I had the same worries.

streten seems to think this isn't a great horn design and the metric issue is a pain. Can someone suggest another plan for those of us who would like to try something similar with the fe103 or rs 40-1197?

Good luck getting that thing together Kofi

dvdwmth said:

streten seems to think this isn't a great horn design and the metric issue is a pain. Can someone suggest another plan for those of us who would like to try something similar with the fe103 or rs 40-1197?

first of, no offense to Kofi there (I would hate to **** off such a respected world leader;) ) but it should not take you that long to convert it to 3/4". Just make the outside larger to fit the extra width of the plywood. Keep everything near the throat exact, and if you need a to drop or add a couple of mm at the mouth, no big deal.

second, streten did not say if he had heard them or not, but those who have seem to be quite happy. I've never built the recommended enclosure for the 103, but I have built one of the fostex designs based on the work of a Japanese man whose name escapes me at the moment. But if you do a little searching there are pages (in Japanese) with quite a few of his designs. I have built one and was quite impressed by it. I believe if you don't have the space or time for a full size backloaded horn, one of the fostex enclosures is a very good option.

I built the speaker you see in the picture which has been a lot of work, and lots of trial and error. I'm glad I did, I really enjoy them, but as far a sound quality I am not sure all the extra work , when compared to the relativly simple fostex enclosures, can be justified by sound quality alone. Of course I've never compared them side by side with a fostex design, this is simply by memory, so take it with a grain of salt.
Joe

Attachments

• side.jpeg
    side.jpeg
    31.6 KB · Views: 286
first of, no offense to Kofi there (I would hate to **** off such a respected world leader ) but it should not take you that long to convert it to 3/4".

Sure, Kofi, just drop eveything and convert 15mm to 3/4"!! Hey-- you think I don't have better things to do with the "handover" of Iraq in a couple of weeks? Jeez! Maybe we should just wait until mid-July so I can complete the conversion.

Started the horns today and everything is going as planned. I picked up some 5/8" MDF at Atlanta Wood Products and its going to be fine.

Also, they have some 18mm baltic birch, so I think I'll use that for the 206Es (using the 206E Sigma horn cabinets).

Will post pictures sometime tomorrow. Thanks to all for the help.

Kofi

nice :)

I've built the Fostex Double Bass Reflex for the FE83E, slightly modified the dimensions to fit a pair of Radio Shack clearance special speakers (full range dual cones, no info on the net about them and no T/S params, but CHEAP). I was actually quite impressed with the bass, Low bass is there, not powerfull, but there. Darn good considering the drivers. I use these for HT with the sub that came with the system (Cheap intigrated panasonic, and the sub is soon to be replaced) and a center channel that is an FE87 in a 2l box tuned to about 90. LOVE the center. I also have a couple FE166E's that are either going in the recomended horn or the the Fostex dbl bass reflex for the FE167, so I eagerly await your reports on the horns. I also have a couple FE83Es going into some 4l boxes tuned low for monitors. There are quite a few Japanese sites that have used these drivers and ppl seem quite fond of them.

Oh, and one modification that I have considered for the enclosure that you are building is to angle the fronts (45 deg. or better) of the pieces of wood in the bottom back of the enclosure (part #s 16-20) as well as 10, 22, 21, and the baffel so that at least the mouth of the horn is fairly smooth, and not as jagged. Not sure how much this will help, but I figgure it wouldn't hurt. I would also use a 1/4" roundover bit and roundover the parts that stick into the mouth to make these areas smoother as well (#5,8,9, and 12).

Anyway, keep us posted.

-D.

dvdwmth said:
I just finished the small conventional enclosures fostex recommends for the fe 103 but using the RS driver. Even in these very small enclosures I was really impressed with how full the sound was and how much bass there is. I haven't even put in the ports yet. I cant wait to try them in a horn.

ah, .. another believer in the fostex sound,

beautiful midrange, dynamic, almost live sounding, ... a bit rude in some frequency ranges, ... but sure beat out a lot of other more expensive speakers, IMO

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
Kofi Annan said:
Just finished one horn and I think it sounds really great. Lots of detail and better bass than I was expecting.

Anyone know if stuffing this would increase bass response, or is it best to leave it alone? Unlike the other horn designs recommended by Fostex, there's no reference to any stuffing for the 103E design.

Any advice?

Kofi

Any pictures?

The 208ez enclosure mentions stuffing.

--
Brian

The 208ez enclosure mentions stuffing.

Yeah, but the 103 enclosure doesn't. Should I stuff it and where should I stuff it?

The above is what comedians refer to as a "straight line"-- its normally meant to elicit a comical response. But seriously, I really do need to know where to stuff it. Can't someone please tell me where to stuff it? I'll stuff it anywhere! I'll stuff it!!

I'll have some pictures in a bit. Right now, I need to run to Ace to get some more screws and glue. I used lots of screws and glue. Lots. First I glued, then I screwed, then I glued the screws, then I screwed the glued screws.

ah, .. another believer in the fostex sound, beautiful midrange, dynamic, almost live sounding, ... a bit rude in some frequency ranges, ... but sure beat out a lot of other more expensive speakers

Yep. I can't wait for my 206Es to arrive. They should sound significantly better than 103Es (I used the RS driver for the 103E cabinet too).

Kofi

Of course everybodys ear are different, but I have alway ended up with felt covering the majority of the walls in the filter chamber, leaving the stuffing out. I would definatly add the felt, then mess around with the stuffing if you want to see what happens.... maybe it will help, maybe not.....
Joe

Last one. I'm going to get some felt today to line some of the walls. I'm very happy with the bass output, but it sounds just a little "boxy", so I'm hoping the felt will help.

Also, there's a tiny bit of distortion in the highs, so I may see if I can get some of the custom phase plugs from Dave (Planet 10). Gotta do a little surgery to get those in place, but I may give it a shot.

Kofi

Attachments

• horn3.jpg
    horn3.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 199
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.