Fostex Enclosure - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th June 2004, 03:54 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I happen to know a great place that carries it in Atlanta, called Atlanta Wood Products
Always with the great advice. You know I'll be there tomorrow.

Quote:
I would just use the 5/8" mdf and you should almost be able to fully follow the plan with some unit conversions and sanity checks.
Will do.

Quote:
I finally bought a house last week, and it is about 4 miles from this place, and I move in on July 15th.
Congratulations! Homeowership is great. Glad to hear that you'll be out of apartment life. Hope you keep making great stuff and I wish you and the Mrs. lots of luck.

By the way, let me know if you need help moving. Its the least I can do. Well, the least I can do is abosolutely nothing, but this would be one better than that.

I'll start the project anew tomorrow and I'll post something when I cut my forking arms off. At least, I'll dictate to the wife and she'll post.

Kofi
Old 15th June 2004, 08:34 AM   #12
navin is offline navin  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to navin Send a message via Yahoo to navin
Quote:
Originally posted by Kofi Annan
That's what I camp up with too. Thank God.
32mmD, 44mm H, 8mm W.

32mmD - 2, 21, 22, 10, 4, 8, 12, 13
44mm H - 14, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 11, 3, 7, 6, 5
8mm W - 1, 15.
Old 15th June 2004, 01:16 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I also am stuck working in inches and have been forced to convert some of the fostex recomended enclousures to use 3/4" wood. I always just increased the outside demensions slightly, then you should be able to get everything pretty close. Just try to keep everything up right on as far as you can. A small difference at the mouth of the horn is no big deal, while the same difference could cause problems at the throat. But maybe you've already got 5/8" by now, in which case my advice is irrelevant
oh well
Joe
Old 15th June 2004, 03:04 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

My brain is about to explode.

The reason I'm making the smaller horn with the 103E is that I have some 206Es on order and I wanted to make the Fostex-recommended horns for those. In other words, my experiment with the 103Es was a dry run for the 206Es and I can see now that this is going to get really ugly.

Anyone got a design for the 206E drivers in Imperial / English measurements? If so, I can stop this nonsense and build Tim's voigt pipes and use another design for the 206Es when I receive them.

YYYYYEEEEEEAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Kofi
Old 15th June 2004, 05:04 PM   #15
BrianGT is offline BrianGT  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to BrianGT
Quote:
My brain is about to explode.

The reason I'm making the smaller horn with the 103E is that I have some 206Es on order and I wanted to make the Fostex-recommended horns for those. In other words, my experiment with the 103Es was a dry run for the 206Es and I can see now that this is going to get really ugly.

Anyone got a design for the 206E drivers in Imperial / English measurements? If so, I can stop this nonsense and build Tim's voigt pipes and use another design for the 206Es when I receive them.

YYYYYEEEEEEAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Kofi
Try not to explode, but if you look at the 206e fostex enclosure, they are using 21mm thick wood for that...

A great alternative, which I have seen recommended on another forum, would be to build the 208ez enclosure:
http://www.madisound.com/208ez_enclrev.pdf

It uses 18mm thick wood, which corresponds close enough to 3/4", and is said to be a much better design and will work with the 206e.

I think building the 103e enclosure with 5/8" would be good practice first though.

Another design to look at:
http://home.hetnet.nl/~geenius/Solo206.html

--
Brian
Old 15th June 2004, 06:45 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

OK.... OK.... Kofi's feeling better now. I called AWP and they have 5/8" MDF. I'll be running by there tomorrow to get some.

With the 103E design, I'll be out .875mm for each board if I use 5/8", but I'm thinking that won't amount to much in the end. I should be able, as you have described, fully follow the plan. If I compromise on the dimensions of the internal spaces, I'm thinking I'll be out about a millimeter or so per gap. That's not the end of the world, right?

Also, I should still be able to use my 3/4" MDF for the external portion of the cabinet. This would seriously cut down on the amount of wasted wood product.

Quote:
A great alternative, which I have seen recommended on another forum, would be to build the 208ez enclosure
That sounds like a plan.

Quote:
It uses 18mm thick wood, which corresponds close enough to 3/4", and is said to be a much better design and will work with the 206e.
Yeah! This is the one I'll build for the 206E then. Again, I'll be off about 1mm per gap, but hopefully that will still work out OK.

Thanks again!
Kofi
Old 15th June 2004, 07:13 PM   #17
Greg B is offline Greg B  United States
diyAudio Member

Personally, I would just build the thing from 5/8" particle board and stop worrying. It's not a big box. Beaverboard will work fine and is readily availabe in 5/8". Plywood is common in 5/8" as well, but it needs to be void free. BTW, ply is typically undersized, and nominal 5/8" likely *will* be 15 mm.

You can always sheath the thing with hardwood or plywood if the box sings too much.

GB
Old 16th June 2004, 05:41 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Also, consider the size of 1mm. It isnt a whole lot, little more than a pencil line. 5/8 should work fine for 15mm without any reconfiguation. If you can build a box sized down to the exact mm then you are a better carpenter than I or have a lot more time on your hands
Old 16th June 2004, 01:44 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If you can build a box sized down to the exact mm then you are a better carpenter than I or have a lot more time on your hands
Been measuring my stock with an electron microscope. 1mm is HUGE on the atomic scale. Now if I can just keep the dust mites and giant specks of pollen off the wood...

Thanks for all the advice. On my way to Atlanta Wood Products today.

Kofi
Old 16th June 2004, 01:47 PM   #20
BrianGT is offline BrianGT  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to BrianGT
Quote:

Been measuring my stock with an electron microscope. 1mm is HUGE on the atomic scale. Now if I can just keep the dust mites and giant specks of pollen off the wood...

Thanks for all the advice. On my way to Atlanta Wood Products today.

Kofi
Good luck. I am curious to see how the backloaded horns will sound.

--
Brian

Hide this!Advertise here!