Interesting new fullrange drivers out of Japan - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th June 2004, 01:54 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Interesting new fullrange drivers out of Japan

Recently there have been some interesting new fullrange drivers coming out of Japan . . . well, actually "coming out" may not be the right phrase since nobody outside Japan -- at least that I know of -- has yet to hear them. But they seem to have a devoted following inside the country.

Here's a link to a current Internet auction in Japan (all Japanese but a link to an English explanation is provided):
Exact E-12D/SPL alnico 5-inch fullrange driver

Click the image to open in full size.

Earlier this same manufacturer had an even wilder (and even more expensive -- by a large margin) 6.5 inch driver up for auction:
Click the image to open in full size.

In any case, if esoteric fullrange drivers interest you, this company may take the cake.
Old 8th June 2004, 02:11 AM   #2
BrianGT is offline BrianGT  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to BrianGT
Default Re: Interesting new fullrange drivers out of Japan

Imaginary Coaxial Loudspeaker? What is that supposed to mean?

--
Brian
Old 8th June 2004, 02:37 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Imaginary coaxial loudspeaker?

"Imaginary coaxial loudspeaker?" Where did it say that? One thing is for sure, though -- there is no comparable system (at least that I know of) in the world of audio (apparently it was patented), and this is the hardest part (and the most important part) of the technology to comprehend in order to understand these drivers. I have been following them in Japan for some time now and read a lot about them in Japanese. (There is extensive documentation available in Japanese.) I finally came to the conclusion that I needed to hear a pair, precisely because there is nothing comparable on the market. Sometime this month I'm going to review a pair at my home, and if I like them, they're staying. Not the top of the line Permendur models, though. I couldn't afford them. I'll be listening to their basic 5-inch drivers. My current loudspeakers are large Pioneer 3-way bookshelf speakers (list price about $4,000/pr) so there should be a world of difference. If I decide to keep the Exact speakers, I'll sell the Pioneers to help defray the cost.
Old 8th June 2004, 03:19 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Imaginary coaxial loudspeaker?" Where did it say that?
On the magnet of the larger speaker. We used to call it a "dual cone" speaker.

Tim
Old 8th June 2004, 04:15 AM   #5
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by tsmith1315

On the magnet of the larger speaker. We used to call it a "dual cone" speaker.

Tim
I'm now working for a Japanese company. Some of the translations to English can be down right hilarious.
Old 8th June 2004, 04:39 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Say, that *IS* a hoot!

I never noticed that label on the magnet before! That is funny. After reading the maker's explanation, I understand why he used that phrase, but still. Gee, I wonder if he'll let me pay with imaginary money?

The Japanese do have a way with naming and labeling products. A "creamy powder" coffee creamer is called CREAP. A popular drink similar to Gatorade is called Pocari SWEAT. And Mitsubishi sells a 4x4 on/offroad vehicle here in Japan that had to be renamed for overseas sales since the Japanese name is Pajero, which is Spanish slang for a guy who masturbates! Anybody care to drive around in a Mitsubishi Masturbator?

I'll have to contact the maker and suggest he come up with a label that is a little less entertaining for us foreigners.
Old 8th June 2004, 06:58 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Did I get it rigt, the price is 147,00 Yen ?? Well if they are really good then they may be even worth it. An MSW is also around USD 1000.- for comparison.

Quote:
A popular drink similar to Gatorade is called Pocari SWEAT.
I think the worst thing about this is not its name, not even that it tastes bad (O.K. I am biased I don't like any drinks of that kind, not even the one made by a famous Swiss food company), but they way how streets in cities are cluttered with vending machines for that (and beer and softdrinks and ......).

Regards

Charles
Old 8th June 2004, 08:05 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default About the price at the current auction

Yes, the starting price at the current auction is 147,000 yen for the pair. Speaking as one who has read nothing but raves for these drivers among Japanese users, and as one who as drooled over these auctions for well over a year now (the sheer variety of the drivers he has auctioned is amazing for what is essentially a one-man operation, although it is true that they have all tended to be variants of a few basic models), I feel that these particular drivers are a bargain at this price. Mind you, I haven't actually heard them! But here in Japan he can sell them as fast as he can make them (which isn't very fast, to be sure). Some guys have a pair that they listen to, and several additonal pairs that they just wanted to collect, so they sit around in their original cartons doing nothing. And some fellows are actually using these for home theater! I'm sure it sounds great, but one could see LOTR in the movie theater many times for the cost of a system based on these drivers! In any case, if I had 147,000 in my pocket, you can be sure I would not have posted information about these drivers! (Except possibly as a review). I can't wait to test drive some of this family of fullrange driver at my home later this month. It is something I have been looking forward to for over a year now.
Old 8th June 2004, 08:14 AM   #9
navin is offline navin  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to navin Send a message via Yahoo to navin
Quote:
Originally posted by phase_accurate
Did I get it rigt, the price is 147,00 Yen ??
that is like $1.50 each. it cant be that cheap. must be more.
Old 8th June 2004, 08:22 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Navin

O.K. I made a typo, but my price is still 100 times higher than the one you stated !!!
But they are cheaper than I assumed, I thought they might be around USD 1500.- each ! O.k. they are still not a bargain compared to many well performing alternatives, OTOH my MSWs were also around USD 1000.-/piece two years ago.

Regards

Charles

Hide this!Advertise here!