Tangband W3-871 .Can I...?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
With a Qts of .68 it should work well in dipole. FR is not attentuated with dipole, however, on the bass end you won't get much especially from a 3" driver. I couldn't find a response curve for that driver to recommend a baffle dimension for you.

Just try it mounted on a piece of cardboard first to set how you like it. I've heard that driver has a very forward midrange and dipole will likely make it more so. One of the advantages of OB is that you can test it so quick and easy. You could be listening 10 minutes from now.

To keep it from bottoming out just use a high pass filter at 150hz to protect the driver and a total baffle width of 22", which would include swept back wings to save space. Mount the driver off center in relation to the baffle width. I always make 1 wing a couple of inches shorter.

It should work very well. Good Luck!!!

I use exactly that, sounds wonderful indeed. Although there are a few pointers you should follow. A single-order high-pass filter at 150Hz is very recomended. I use exactly that frequency for mine, prevents the driver from ever bottoming out, even at high levels (powered by a 25W amp, so not too much power to begin with). This is since I have a 12" woofer filling in the bass under 150Hz.

Although, if you're going to just listen to the W3-871S fullrange in a dipole setup (I have, so I know what it sounds like), it will sound rather lacking in the bass region. A sub-woofer would fill in the lower end nicely. Many dipole speakers lack bass, and the W3 alone sounds amazing, but bass shy without a second driver or sub.

For a bedroom system I'm building exactly that, two W3 dipoles and a sub to fill in the bass.

I hope that helps...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.