fostex FE127e, newbie - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th May 2004, 12:26 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default fostex FE127e, newbie

I'm a newbie here also in building speaker. So if any one had build already a full range speaker using Fostex Fe127e, can you share your experience with this speaker, in terms of music and movie sound. In music i most listen to jazz, classic, rock ballads. A concern friend recommend this Fostex, for easy building and no crossover needed, so I'm tempted to build this one and use for front(stereo) and center channel use. If ever, i'm going to build fostex recommended enclosure " double bass reflex enclosure". Need your comment and input with regard to this pls.
Old 29th May 2004, 02:34 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I considered doing exactly that, and still may at some point in the future. You will get the best (quantity) bass that way. But the double bass reflex will give you a bit of a "two-note" bass with peaks at (if I remember) about 120hz and 50hz.

The effect will be that of comparatively full, rich bass, but it will not be a flat, rolled off response. If you went another box style, the reponse would be smoother, but the bass would roll off at a higher frequency.

I think the double bass reflex likely represents a good overall compromise for the FE127E.
Old 29th May 2004, 04:02 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

How about a ML-TQWT?

(sorry, couldn't resist)
Old 29th May 2004, 04:10 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I'm not familiar with ML TQWT, is this a type of enclosure?
Old 29th May 2004, 06:01 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

sorry for my ignorance, but I search the web.
Is this the ML-QWT enclosure.
http://www.quarter-wave.com/Project02/Project02.html

It looks difficult to build. any way, do you have any link to this project (FE-127E) in this type of enclosure, with detailed enclosure lay-out.
Old 29th May 2004, 08:30 AM   #6
joensd is offline joensd  Germany
diyAudio Member

You could build a classic transmission line that you can also simulate with the matchcad worksheets given on the Quarter-Wave-website. (these are great tools for simulating)

It would a be "normal" straight rectangular enclosure that is easy to build.

The mathcad-worksheets may look rather complicate when you first see them but really aren´t if you look closer and I´m sure if that´s what you want to build you´ll get some help here to tackle your design.

Regards
Jens

You can find some useful info about the TL´s at http://www.t-linespeakers.org/ and http://geocities.com/rbrines1/ and of course the Quarter-Wave-site itself.
Old 29th May 2004, 11:08 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

This is a tapered quarter-wave tube built using the RS 40-1197 which is similar to the Fostex FE103. The FE127 would work well in a slightly larger version of this enclosure. As joensd states, you could build a classic QWT which looks more like your typical speaker box. Also, consider making it a bipole.
Old 29th May 2004, 11:10 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

My picture didn't show up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phase1.jpg (28.6 KB, 564 views)
Old 30th May 2004, 06:59 AM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I got a chance to listen to those little red pipes today... they are really very good.

dave
Old 30th May 2004, 07:51 PM   #10
Pedja is offline Pedja  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Have tried FE127E in the folded TQWT. Really not much harder to make than bass reflex, it needs one slab more (and yes, the box is normally bigger), that is all. The results in the midrange are outstanding. However, though it plays the bass and it plays it defined, it does without authority. One would never guess what such small driver supported by box can do, but it is not yet what should be achieved (IMO). And more important, this driver has bump in the 4.5-7kHz range. The break-up is not even remotely pleasant.

In my opinion FE103E covers the “full-range” in the more effective way. Is somewhat smaller and has somewhat taller Fs though.

If that matters, I am working on the project which will use FE127E like midrange driver.

Pedja

Hide this!Advertise here!