Beauhorn Virtuoso clones?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Konnichiwa,

Ropie said:
Does anyone know of the whereabouts of any drawings/details of the innards of the Beauhorn Virtuoso Horn?

Yes, they are in Eric Thomas's locked Desk Drawer. The Virtuoso is a commercial product and hence the design is not available in the public domain.

The principle is quite easy, a 300Hz (appx.) fronthorn is coupled to a mostly straight appx 100Hz rear horn. Due to transmission line and corner loading the LF extends into the 50Hz region, the rear "horn" is around 1.5m or so long.

There is a small chamber behind the driver, then a channel bending forward above the front horn and slowly turning overtowards the rear with another turn whose exit is around teh middle of the depth of the cabinet. From there it's a mostly straightforward horn. All sound guides are made from polystyrene foam with smooth contures and much time was spend fiddeling with the exact horn conture.

Sayonara

Re: Re: Beauhorn Virtuoso clones?

Kuei Yang Wang said:
Yes, they are in Eric Thomas's locked Desk Drawer. The Virtuoso is a commercial product and hence the design is not available in the public domain.

Yes, maybe I should have written, "Can anyone tell me what they think the inside of the BHV looks like?" ;)

Thanks for the information; I have read your review of them and apart from anything else they are wonderful looking items. I just wondered if they were diyable, but the nearest documented project seems to be the All Fun Horn.

Re: Re: Re: Beauhorn Virtuoso clones?

Konnichiwa,

Ropie said:
Yes, maybe I should have written, "Can anyone tell me what they think the inside of the BHV looks like?" ;)

Actually, I looked inside, so I know.... :D

Ropie said:
I just wondered if they were diyable,

IN PRINCIPLE - Yes.

In practice, unless you are extremely experienced designing horns - no. The front Horn makes the System pretty flat 300Hz-12....18KHz from the front. You now need to design a rear horn that works from your lowest desired frequency and matches the gain of the fronthorn, basically you need 9 - 10db Horn Gain to around 300Hz and then tune the chamber behind the driver and it's exit to belnt the front and rear horn output together well. And you need to keep the rear horn short to avoid time delay problems.

Ropie said:
but the nearest documented project seems to be the All Fun Horn.

The AFH looks rather different inside.

Sayonara

The Wireless World Dinsdale articles on horns had a 'mini-horn' which combined one driver and a front and back horn. Intended for corner use, it was nothing like the Virtuoso in appearance but may be out there on the web somewhere. The article gave a lot of details about balancing front and rear horns on a single driver. (The driver used was a 6.5 inch Eagle.)

Colin

BFH in london

They are musically rewarding, although I would say system matching is a bit more critical than usual in my (limited) experience

If you are in london i could get you in touch with a friend of mine who has the big fun horns at home.

Wether he would be willing to let a complete stranger into his house is a different story....

I guess you would have to play your charms....

He is a really nice guy, btw
(So are many others here in the forum - T)

B

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.