Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th May 2004, 04:18 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

Available again brand new from Radio Shack Canada. They even lowered the price to $18 CAD each (vrs $16.50 for the TB).

Must admit I was shocked to read that but there it be:

http://www.radioshack.ca/estore/Prod...log=RadioShack
Old 7th May 2004, 04:23 PM   #2
markp is offline markp  United States
diyAudio Member

There is one in Saskatoon! There are three in all on B.C.
Old 7th May 2004, 05:06 PM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by markp
There is one in Saskatoon! There are three in all on B.C.
3 of what?? Tempests?

dave
Old 7th May 2004, 05:59 PM   #4
markp is offline markp  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:

3 of what?? Tempests?

dave
No the RS 4" drivers we've been talking about in this thread.
Old 7th May 2004, 06:16 PM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by markp
No the RS 4" drivers we've been talking about in this thread.
Oh... actual stock in the stores, i get it... i always order them at least 10 at a time direct from the website (actually by phone since the website breaks -- at least the last time i used it). I have at least 20 of them in stock

Tim, i haven't measured my last batch yet (and i haven't seen any of the new ones, so don't know if they are the same as the last batch -- purple Canadian boxes)... i'll get around to ordering some sometime (even just to encorage them to keep em coming).

I think you get 5% off if you use your Radio Shack card (a Citibank MC now)

dave
Old 7th May 2004, 10:11 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

...or I could trade some RS stereo pots for 1197s
Old 9th May 2004, 07:13 AM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Timn8ter
...or I could trade some RS stereo pots for 1197s

Ahhh... motivation

I'm sure that can be arranged.

dave
Old 9th May 2004, 11:01 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Oh... actual stock in the stores, i get it... i always order them at least 10 at a time direct from the website (actually by phone since the website breaks -- at least the last time i used it). I have at least 20 of them in stock

dave

Hi Dave,

Can I ask why you keep so many of these drivers on hand?

I have been looking at your website and I like the look (and cost) of the various BD Pipe projects.

http://www.t-linespeakers.org/FALL/bd-pipes.html

In particular, I like the look of the FE103A Pipes and the Red Pipes. I'm interested in these kits and I'd be looking to use 40-1197 drivers. The speakers would be driven by a low wattage (8W max) tube amp.

I have a few questions, in particular with regards to the specifications of these pipes. What sort of power handleing do the pipes have and what is the frequency range? Given that they would be driven by a low power amp, what is the sensitivity of the pipes?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Cheers,
GM.
Old 10th May 2004, 04:35 AM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by gmilitano
Can I ask why you keep so many of these drivers on hand?
I sell an occasional speaker and many of them use 1197s, so when it looked like they were gonna get scarce i stocked up. Used up about 50 so far.

Quote:
I have been looking at your website and I like the look (and cost) of the various BD Pipe projects.

http://www.t-linespeakers.org/FALL/bd-pipes.html

In particular, I like the look of the FE103A Pipes and the Red Pipes. I'm interested in these kits and I'd be looking to use 40-1197 drivers. The speakers would be driven by a low wattage (8W max) tube amp.
The wooden pipes with the FE103As now house tweaked 1197s and a "friend" wants them, but he is a bit of a flake, and tey may sit in my living room for awhile. I have an architect client (i do their Macs) and he wanted to hear some of the speakers i had built. One day i had the red pipes in the car (just painted mdf), so i left them with him -- his wife really liked how they looked, and they both liked how they sounded so they wouldn't let me have them back -- has us build another set for the rears, a center channel, and we used the 12" Fosters in his old speakers to build him a push-push sub -- all in red. He also upgraded his electronics to an NAD HT receiver... he likes impressing friends with it.

Quote:
I have a few questions, in particular with regards to the specifications of these pipes. What sort of power handleing do the pipes have and what is the frequency range? Given that they would be driven by a low power amp, what is the sensitivity of the pipes?
The BD pipe is probably not an optimal design for a pr of 1197s, it was designed for ACR FE103s using the guess & by golly method -- we just sort of fell into it, my cabinet guy had the boxes done before i could blink and they do work well in the box. GM has done a smaller ML TL that we cribbed for centres that is probably better (we've never had a chance to build a set of mains with this design).

With 1197s the FR is probably 75-80 Hz up to about 10k, then you need to bring a tweeter in with a cap (2 uF on an 8 ohm tweet). There are a number of inexpensive Ts that work well (some less expensive than the postage would be) I expect GMs design would be about the same.

Eficeincy i stimate in about 91 db, a 4.5 W EL84 SEP starts running out of steam at high levels (in my large room) but is superb for normal listing levels. Recent indications are that series wiring may be better sonically than parallel.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif proto-1197-ml-tl.gif (25.1 KB, 1228 views)
Old 10th May 2004, 08:01 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I realize that the speaker will definitely be "more than loud enough", but is there a possibility of blowing the speaker by turning the volume too high (either accidentally, or by being a showoff)?

I don't want to spend the cash on 4 drivers, and then spend more cash to get other drivers later. I want to get "the right" drivers the first time, and go from there.

Chris

Hide this!Advertise here!