Help with Jordan design....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
pooge said:
A decent amp would maintain the voltage into 4 ohms

By that i assume you mean that a "decent" amp will double its power into 4 ohms vrs 8 ohms, then there aren't very many "decent" amps.... certainly a clear majority of amps sold or made today do not met this criterion.

There are many, many really good amps that don't meet this criterion.

dave

I like the Carolina Audio jordans a lot. The thin JX92 tower seems perfect fro my need except if I was building a florr stander i would prefer a little more extension at both ends of the freq. spectrum.

I have 2 options.

(1) wall mounted speaker like B&W VM1 operating from 100hz+ or (2) a floor stander operating from 40Hz+

each of these should be able to deliver 95db at their F3 (100hz or 40Hz) with about 10W rms (my amps will be capable of about 28-30Wrms but I'd like to have some headroom)

the speaker choice (wall/floor) depends on how the furniture in our apt gets arrranged by my wife and her friend. considering that the builder has not even finished the building yet we have time.

I am trying to have both options ready so that i can begin to collect parts as soon as my speaker location is chosen.

in either case I would have to supplement the bass using a sub.

ok it is a go ahead...

I'm going to try the bipole jordans.

I threw together a small bipole with some RS drivers in a cardboard box tuned with a toilet paper roll.

:))

suprisingly very nice sound. actually very effortless.

SOO...

question is:

What type of wood should I use for the enclosure??

A) MDF with Veneer?
B) Plywood with Veneer?
C) Real wood?

Thanks!!!

I haven't unleased my JX150s yet, so don't talk from personal experience, but i have reports that even FR the JX125 & 150 will outdo a JX92 -- no mean feat.

The FW168HP would be very interesting... with something smaller than the FE83. I don't have an opinion on the FW168N, but it looks good...

dave

I was considering the Fostex FW168N woofers for a project that was started then I used the woofers in another project and sold them. My problem is that in two catalogs the flange is listed at 180 mm but online at Madisound it is listed as 190 mm. I have seen the FW168HP listed as 190 mm. So is the online measurement a mistake that lists the FW168HP measurement for the FW168N?

Ye Gods, first post on this thread in nine years.

The frame diameter of the FW168N is listed as 190mm in the dimensioned drawing on Fostex's data sheet. Since it is probably safe to assume Fostex know the dimensions of their own products, that's the one I'd go with. This appears to be further confirmed by the fact that the FE168ESigma, which evidently uses a very similar frame (albeit with slightly smaller screw-heads), is also listed as 190mm in the dimensioned drawing on its data sheet.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.