Help with Jordan design.... - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th April 2004, 08:57 PM   #21
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: notch filters...

Quote:
Originally posted by AudioGeek
so how do I do a broad and deep notch filter?
Essentially a variation on the BSC filter... check Martin King's site

Quote:
My baffle is about 12in wide, so probably start at 1Khz -> 10kHz for the notch.
12" is an estimated 380 Hz BS -3dB.

dave
Old 28th April 2004, 11:46 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Default so,

essentially use the 380Hz baffle step....

probably 8 ohms or more paralleled with a 1.75mH choke.

then where does the cap go?? across the choke and resistor?

for a 10Khz filter... what value should I use?

please forgive my basic questions.

Thanks!!!!
Old 29th April 2004, 03:19 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Default diffuser???

I want to build a HF diffuser on the back.... something to reflect the HF sound a bit equally everywhere.

How would I do this???

Something like this:

|< shape on the back? with the point close to the center of the driver and tapered out to the edge of the driver.

hope this makes sense.
Old 29th April 2004, 07:07 AM   #24
navin is offline navin  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to navin Send a message via Yahoo to navin
Default Re: Re: ahh...

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10
EL83? Do you mean EL84 -- i've a couple Class A PP in the works....I think either of these would be quite stunning, 300 Hz 1st order XO for a single JX53 might limit dynamics somewhat.
a single jx53 with a single jx125 will represent a point source more closely than a jx125 PP mated to a jx53 4-in-line. however the jx125PP + jx53 4-in-line would have considerably more SPL capability.

the reason i chose 300Hz is because most music has 50% of it's energy above 300hz and 50% below. Also I wanted as much of the vocal range to be managed by one driver. However maybe a XO at about 400hz might also suit me since my proposed baffle would be about 8.25" wide (210mm) and have a "lip" of about 1" (25mm) to simulate a baffle of about 10.25" (260mm).

the -3db step for baffle step would be about 440Hz.

BTW are the JX53 and JX125 that good. what about the Fostex FE83 and FW168N? Should that combo or any other also be considered?
Old 29th April 2004, 07:20 AM   #25
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Re: Re: ahh...

Quote:
Originally posted by navin
BTW are the JX53 and JX125 that good. what about the Fostex FE83 and FW168N? Should that combo or any other also be considered?
I haven't unleased my JX150s yet, so don't talk from personal experience, but i have reports that even FR the JX125 & 150 will outdo a JX92 -- no mean feat.

The FW168HP would be very interesting... with something smaller than the FE83. I don't have an opinion on the FW168N, but it looks good...

dave
Old 29th April 2004, 08:01 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: ahh...

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10
I haven't unleased my JX150s yet, so don't talk from personal experience, but i have reports that even FR the JX125 & 150 will outdo a JX92 -- no mean feat.The FW168HP would be very interesting... with something smaller than the FE83. I don't have an opinion on the FW168N, but it looks good...
dave
i could not access any data on the 168HP from the fostex site. i guess the question is....
which combo is better...
Jx 53 with a JX125
or Fe83 (does fostex make a widerange that is smaller?) with a 168HP?

if either the jx53 of fe83 requires some hf help (which i doubt given that there are enough out there that are happy with a jx 92's hf) does adding a rear facing piezo make any sense.
Old 29th April 2004, 08:20 AM   #27
Nardis is offline Nardis  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Although the mid is great, I found the top end of the JX92 lacked a bit of openness, especially on orchestral strings & cymbals.

I am now using them with Fountek JP3 ribbons crossed over 1st order at about 6K and the result is much better. The Aurum Cantus ribbons/JX92 combination I've heard sounds better still - but at a price.

There was an interesting contribution on the JX92 impedance from member 6010 a couple of months back and I'm going to try his Zobel and redo the xover.
Old 29th April 2004, 09:18 AM   #28
Colin is offline Colin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Adding an additional HF to either the JX53 or the JX92 is a personal thing. I find the HF of the JX53 is very good and the lack of additional drivers and crossovers over 500Hz makes for a very natural, coherent sound, more like an ESL than a traditional moving coil speaker and totally removed from the sound of a dome tweeter. It's worth getting the 53 and 125/150 drivers as close as possible, though, as the first order crossover recommended by Ted Jordan means there is a considerable overlap.

An earlier version of the JX125 was used in a Townsend design, crossed over to a ribbon tweeter at around 5kHz. It got good comments on the stereo imagery though I suspect that was mostly the contribution of running the JX125 so high. As an experiment, I tried running the JX125 full range but things got a bit hard at the top end (they aren't really designed as a full range).

Re Jordans vs Fostex - there are comments on the sound of these at the zHorn site. A recent posting by the designer on the Konus site says he prefers the sound of the JX92 in the Essence-style enclosure.

Regarding using two JX92s in one enclosure, the VTL on the Jordan website would make a good starting point for this. The easiest way to roll off the HF of the rear driver (assuming you need to - it would depend on room and reflections) would be to put some sound absorbent material over the driver and let it run full range (no crossover to worry about). Another route would be to mount the second driver on the top, firing upwards. There have been a few designs using this approach and reviews seem split on whether it results in a more natural soundstage or simply messes up the imaging.

Alternatively, the Essence/ VTL design using one driver is supposed to work quite well against a wall.

Colin
Old 29th April 2004, 09:35 AM   #29
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ahh...

Quote:
Originally posted by navin
i could not access any data on the 168HP from the fostex site. i guess the question is....
try Madisound

Quote:
which combo is better...
probably both.... i'd expect them both to sound really good, but quite different.

dave
Old 29th April 2004, 09:44 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Colin
...I find the HF of the JX53 is very good...It's worth getting the 53 and 125/150 drivers as close as possible....I tried running the JX125 full range but things got a bit hard at the top end (they aren't really designed as a full range).

Re Jordans vs Fostex - there are comments on the sound of these at the zHorn site.

Alternatively, the Essence/ VTL design using one driver is supposed to work quite well against a wall.
Colin
I would love to see links to the zHorn and Essence sites.

Hide this!Advertise here!