WAW / FAST idea

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i had an idea to mate a TL enclosure with 8inch woofer and an open baffle vifa tc9 3.5incher. basically the OB speaker from 'cheap inexpensive OB' thread (which has been my main speaker for yrs) but a robust 8inch bass driver in a conventional enclosure for easier loading on the amp.

so OB mid/high and TL bass

has such speaker already been documented? the crossover would need to be passive

without the dagger TL for the scanspeak?

does the sq between vifa and scanspeak warrent the price difference tho? i wouldnt mind putting that extra money into better woofer instead since ive been quite satisfied with tc9fd for top duty.

awesome design regardless, xrk971

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The sound quality is better, I would say mostly because it has a fiberglass cone vs paper cone. You might try 8ohm TG9FD for very similar sound signature with 1/5th the price. You can always start with TC9FD in same XO and adjust level of padding to match. 10F is about 1.5dB more sensitive. Bolt pattern is same but bezel is round vs square. Open baffle is fine on these. So get a good woofer - RS225-8 is tough to beat as it is a unique value proposition. There actually isn’t another woofer (at any price) that I am aware of that can match its flat response, low distortion, relatively high xmax, mid-low Qts, and power handling.

You can try a ScanSpeak 8in woofer but it’s a different animal and the passive XO for use with TC9/TG9/10F has not been worked out yet. Whereas 10F/RS225-8 is a tested and
proven design.

I finally got to hear a set of 10F/RS225 FAST speakers assembled by someone else per my plans and they sounded great - just spot on like as if I made them myself. So the design works.

Last edited:
i had rs225 in a 3way before as a bass unit and yes, it was fantastic. but im in korea and the woofer is overpriced here. i can get scanspeak 8534G00 for a reasonable price tho. and all eminence woofers are sold without markup here. might have to aim for 10inch eminence...

what do you think about 8534g00?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The 8534 is a great woofer from what I have heard as reports / reviews. TS parameters are close in some areas but Vas is a bit bigger. Qts and fs about the same and 5.8mm xmax. Response has a much higher breakup peak at 3kHz so will need a revised XO filter. If you know how to design new passive XO, it certainlly is an option. I know Troels Gravison uses this and 10F with tweeter for his 3-way. But XO is very complex.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.