Lowther PM6A speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I can't see anything ideal about them myself. Given the usual Lowther response balance and minimal mechanical travel, an acoustically small, resistively vented box like that certainly wouldn't be my choice of enclosure, unless used in a small space with a lot of toe-in & EQ applied. I suspect the results would suck like a consumptive proboscis monkey on the Red Bull Stratos high altitude balloon. Still, YMMV.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Bonjour Michel
I got one almost open, performing very special.
I dont need EQ nor do i have a shout left, neither im deaf ;-)

Its a “gentle horn”, meaning the baffle is a bit bend forward, but not as you may think.
To the back its open and as such remains the “air”.
But it precisely loads the dia between 200 and 1000 herz, where normally it would roll off and sound way too bright / lean (on voltage source) - giving it an extra 6dB only there.
Below 200 it drops due to baffle size etc and requires the usual support of a woofer of your choice (which is a good point to me as below 200 Lowther raises D3 exponential below).

Another cool feature: i completely eliminated the shout, having a well behaved smooth midrange in the 2k region, without any EQ, LCR, nor touching driver.
I mounted the Lowther to the baffle with a mounting ring, made of 3 layers, each few mm thick plywood. .
The middle disk of that “sandwich” is a bit bigger, creating a helmholtz gap, that precisely sucks the shout away.

After all i got a pretty balanced response from 200 till 6k.
The 6-12k remains naturally peaky as Lowther is, i didnt want to make it dull and rather slightly listen off axis 10° instead.

The overall thing is only 40x50cm big, and 40 deep, so not big. I swear it even makes Lowther haters lifting eyebrows :) and doesn’t kill a piece of life.
If you’re up north France, i invite you for a listen, im close to the border.

Cheers
Josh

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.