Full range driver sizes pros and cons

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am cautious as i approach the Fane. Besides the many positive comments i have heard i have also heard from at least one member who thot they sounded ike trash.

Well, there are lots of bad reviews of anything. Including Alpair 7.3. You are very right to investigate before liking. My expectation is that it will deliver, if it fits your requirements and niche.

Probably the best way to get the most bass out of a FR, is to horn load it. The Frugal-Horn family has proven itself to be a very good, and very versatile horn for FRs. They can accomodate many 3-6.5” drivers (including ones that aren’t FR).

Oh yes, please do a FH-15! I have a BIB-inspired parabolic pipehorn running, which I like very much. I would love to see an official frugal design for the Fane 15".

Hah!
Would'nt be mush "frugal" though! :-D

Cost of ply for a proper horn acommodating a 15" automatically equals non-frugal end result. Factor in the values of the Fane 15" and it will probably be even bigger. Maybe one can tame q values down a little bit, but it's not easy.
May be better/easier to crack the ferrite ring and wind a coil there instead, would need some tinkering to get the most optimal magnetic field.

Hah!
Would'nt be mush "frugal" though! :-D

Cost of ply for a proper horn acommodating a 15" automatically equals non-frugal end result. Factor in the values of the Fane 15" and it will probably be even bigger. Maybe one can tame q values down a little bit, but it's not easy.
May be better/easier to crack the ferrite ring and wind a coil there instead, would need some tinkering to get the most optimal magnetic field.

Well, Fs is in the range of drivers for FH-XL. So it wouldn't necessarily be higher/longer horn length. It becomes a matter of matching acoustic impedance and this isn't a straight "five times driver cone area = five times bigger volume."

Maybe it wouldn't fully comply with frugalhorn alignment, but I am sure Scott et al. can work out an interesting backloaded alignment for the Fane 15. I expect they won't, too much work for too few builders. But it would be sooo interesting.

For frontloaded, think Tannoy. Tannoy Truefi for third party idea.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.