New to Designing Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Guys,
I am new on designing speakers and I want to learn more. Is there any book that tells the design considerations and how to choose your parts. For example, I want to know how to decide my damper's (or spider) wave height?
I want to know how each parts affect my frequency response.
Also, my current sp unit (5cm Full Range) have a Qts of 1.4 which is too high. I want to lower it down. But my sp unit have a spec of 20mm total height. I cannot afford to make my magnet thicker. What are the other techniques I could do to achieve Qts of 0.7?

Great book, but intimidating for someone who’s starting.

I would recommend the 4th edition of “Designing, Building, and Testing Your Own Speaker System”, by David Weems. There are lots of editorial problems with this book. It’s only strength is how he presents the fundamentals. The good parts of it could be reduced to about 25 or so pages. Another, and far better written, is “Advanced Speaker Systems”, by Ray Alden. Far, far more concise.

Speaker design basics can’t change. Finding reliable forums & websites are the resources you need. Dickason’s book is good, but the organization is not the best. It’s definitely not necessary reading.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Dickason’s book is a good basic tome, but he has his biases and some kinds of designs only get cursory coverage.

There are lots of good books. Beranek, Toole, Briggs, Jordan, Colloms, more. Do note the time the book was written and the context.

Much can be found on-line, and if you can wade theu the noise you will get a lot of info (watch for contardictory info).

dave

The best way to learn about speaker design is to build something. I would suggest a sub-sat system consisting of sealed or vented cabs with a powered sub. I’ve done it with very small full range drivers to great effect. The Madisound BK-12m kit looks very interesting. If you want to understand something, build it.

Last edited:
Thank You All for the replies. I already have Loudspeaker Design Cookbook by Vance Dickason. And I am still waiting to receive Introduction to Loudspeaker by John L. Murphy and Advanced Speaker Design by J. B. Hall. I am intended to buy Advanced Speaker Design by Ray Alden and Designing Building and Testing Speakers by David Weems.

Currently I design drivers but still have a lot to learn. We have no simulations and Technical advisors, just will rely on self studying and stock knowledge. I had only 1 yr experience before on speaker design about 10yrs ago. Now I am back on this career. I believe the knowledge on speakers is either passed on to you or by experience. So, I find it difficult now since I don't have both.

My current design is a Full Range speaker unit. These are the frequency response of 2 of my samples.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Do you guys have any idea what contributes to the deep (12KHz-15KHz) and peak (16KHz)?
and if I have a peak at around 10KHz, what should I do to minimize it?

These are the sample problems I am encountering and looking for solutions.

My Current Design:
Frame depth - 8.3mm
Cone Effective Height - 4mm
Damper/spider Total Height - 4.1mm

During sweeping test, I am hearing my leadwire is touching the spider. So I changed my spider's height to 3.25mm. 4.1mm and 3.25mm spider's height is existing tooling of my supplier. And they are designed (down neck) for speaker unit without eyelet. Now, my speaker unit is NG while sweeping test because spider hits the frame's bottom. Now, I want to design a new spider (up neck) for my speaker unit with eyelet and of course its a new tooling. My problem is, how will I know that the total height and wave height of my spider will not encounter the same problem I experience before? Tomorrow, I will test my newly assembled sample with 3.25mm damper but more stiffer.

I think Spead and Reverse SpeaD are the best software for us, but too expensive. I cannot afford. I really want to learn as fast as I can because deadlines and customer commitment is killing me.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.