smallest & cheapest MLTL build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I got my Alpairs 5.2 while waiting to buy the new Alpair11MS and since it's my first time seeing a full range driver I decided to plug them in.

I used the super powerful (for a headphone amp) Dynahi balanced SuperSymmetry designed by kevin gilmore to power them, I hacked an ethernet cable (8 cables turned into 4) and recycled an XLR to 3.5mm adapter I wasn't using.

first impressions: they sound like loud headphones sitting on a table. so I decided to put them in an amazon box, but I didn't have a matching set, what I did have is paper cups :vampire3:

So I shoved the drivers into the paper cups and it sounded better, some type of low end was now present :D.

Since I also ordered wool stuffing I thought I would play around with it. I cut a small venting hole at the bottom of the cups and filled them with wool stuffing.

Well that actually helped a bit everything was a bit more defined but it still sounded terrible of course.

The highs were to be receeded, the midrange sounded like a can, the bass was barely present.
but the speakers did certain voices REALLY well. and the imaging and soundstage was incredible.
It also effortlessly filled my small room with sound.

I'm making a pencil for them on Sunday, I really hope it completely transforms them. I have been using headphones for a while so I'm a bit spoiled on detail and clarity.

of course this doesn't really qualify as MLTL (or does it ? haha) it sounds like crap with it was fun taking the 10minutes to make

lTNkG66.jpg

x2l5hlg.jpg

SWRpAp6.jpg

jn9F77r.jpg

XViSIkr.jpg

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The paper cup is kinda small, and can we assume they have very low hours on them? We usually don’t even bother listening until they have a couple hundred hours on them.

I'm making a pencil for them on Sunday, I really hope it completely transforms them.

Do you mean a Pensil? There is no Pensil for these olny the Giraffe ML-TL.
http://wodendesign.com/downloads/Giraffe-A52-MLTL-0v99-081015.pdf

Bass will improve dramatically and mids will open up since they won’t be claustrophobic.

I’d suggest using just a single pair of the CAT5 strands. Is it solid (good), or stranded (not as good)?

dave

The paper cup is kinda small, and can we assume they have very low hours on them? We usually don’t even bother listening until they have a couple hundred hours on them.
ok I'll leave them plugged in for a while, but not on my class A amplifier haha

Do you mean a Pensil? There is no Pensil for these olny the Giraffe ML-TL.
http://wodendesign.com/downloads/Giraffe-A52-MLTL-0v99-081015.pdf
yep that's the one, I'll use a CNC to make it, do you know the board size I need ?
Shaper | Origin

I’d suggest using just a single pair of the CAT5 strands. Is it solid (good), or stranded (not as good)?
dave
it's stranded... I have fancy speaker copper cables I'll use once the speakers are broken in and in their Giraffe boxes

The breakin procedure was only ever in the Mark Audio forum i believe.

Slow & steady break-in with a slow ramp-up in levels over th e1st 100 hr with breaks every 4-5 hours.

I start with a couple hundred hours of low-level FM radio.

dave

this seems very involved, I feel like the manufacturer should do that themselves. I don't mind paying extra for it ...

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
2 strands pulled from a CAT5 cable. Use the same colour each side (each pair has a different twist rate).

You can take it further… there are a couple ways to do that.

As to the break-in, it is not that onerous, all speakers need it to some extent. Mark has addreesed this specific issues, the new A7MS/A11MS claimed to need much less break-in.

After the 1st 20 Hrs or so, the worst is over, and you can just enjoy them (althou at lower levels) for the next 80 hrs or so.

dave

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Dave, thanks for the info on the Cat 5. Just so I have it correct:

2 strands for + side and 2 strands for the - side of each speaker, both the same color (total 8 wires.)

or, do you mean just 2 strands the same color used on right and left speaker (total 4 wires).

I have read various threads on diyaudioprojects website, so yes you can take it further.

Myles

I just made those. I filled it the boxes all the way to the top with wool
it was a good learning process, trying with and without wool, open or closed ect ... they now sound VERY GOOD.
they're just a bit slow, & lazy (compared to my electrostatic headphones... )
I'll keep playing with them to see if I can get a more tighter midrange.

pfK8RRah.jpg

zIJ4c37h.jpg

uopccmdh.jpg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.