Empty Santanas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all. I haven't been here for a couple of years now. I came back because I'm at a loss as to what to do with a pair of Altec Santana cabinets a friend gave me. They are gutted but cosmetically, they're in great shape. Even the grills are perfect. I have a hankering to replace the baffle board and install a new coaxial driver. Something like B&C, Altec, etc. Something with good efficiency and good frequency response. Something that sounds good. Something I would not be ashamed to put in the rec room. I do not want to put a ton of cash into this project. Does anyone here have some ideas for suitable drivers for these boxes? Thanks in advance.

PS: please don't talk to me about TS parameters and such esoterica. I'm a truck drivin' ham radio operator. Not an Acoustical Engineer. I want to hear about your own experiences and opinions

I can't get Fanes where I live - no dealers.
Here is what I have locally or within a reasonable shipping distance
B&C, Beyma, Celestion and Eminence.
Everything else is either mail order, internet order or unobtainable.
I took some measurements - the Santana II box is 3 cubic feet in volume.
The type II models originally had a 12" woofer and a separate tweeter.
Hope that helps.

Thanks for the link. They have some very nice stuff there.
However, I am not paying for shipping for two big heavy speakers from England.
I need to find something in Canada.
The exchange rates and duties from anywhere else are murderous.
Remember, this is a "minimum investment" project.
If the costs appear to escalate, I'll just put doors on the cabinets and call them "end tables".

You know, that's not such a bad idea.
I should have thought of this before I started this project ;-)

Thanks for the link. They have some very nice stuff there.
However, I am not paying for shipping for two big heavy speakers from England.
I need to find something in Canada.
The exchange rates and duties from anywhere else are murderous.
Remember, this is a "minimum investment" project.
If the costs appear to escalate, I'll just put doors on the cabinets and call them "end tables".

You know, that's not such a bad idea.
I should have thought of this before I started this project ;-)

You could email them and ask for a quote for shipping.
They tend to be the lowest price vendors for speakers.

OEM only it says - but wow.

OEM in this case means only that you have to purchase them from retailers. For instance, Parts Express carries the 12" version:

Celestion FTX1225 12" Coaxial Full-Range Professional Driver

There are some much cheaper ones available from Seismic Audio, too. I cannot attest to their quality, but I've been toying with ordering a pair just to play with, knowing that we get what we pay for.

12 Inch Coaxial Steel Frame Speaker Driver | 75 ounce magnet | 3 Inch voice coil | replacement woofer | 12 Inch Coaxial Loudspeaker | 12 Inch Steel Frame Speaker Driver | 12 Inch PA Speaker | 12 DJ Sp – seismicaudio

GeeDeeEmm

Block off the tweeter hole, EQ to 'taste' ;): Celestion FTX1530 - Coaxial/Twin Cone Speaker Driver

GM

GM, did you hear the FTX1530? If i understand your comment, you do not like the tweeter in the FTX1530? Seems to me, the FTX1530 is one of the few 15 inch coax speakers without a 1.500 Hz dip or problem... And if i may believe winisd it can play ridiculously loud.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.