Foam Core and 3FE25... Maybe BLH?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
… you think the 3fe25s would work in them?

The sims suggest that it should work fine. The boxes have already been built — turns out to fit into the uMar-KenPlus, uFonkenPlus mold so we will be able to directly compare them to our 2 current favorite 3” drivers. Just need to get around to buying drivers.

dave

Well, I'm running it in mono without the lens, but I've got one K'Nator done, and my initial thoughts are that this driver sounds MUCH better than it did in a sealed enclosure. It sounds fantastic for a 3" driver, no doubt. Not mind boggling, but probably because it's in mono and I'm used to doing my critical listening on DML panels supported by W-frames, so maybe I'm a bit spoiled... But they sound fantastic for jazz and folk, really clear midrange and good high end extension. Double bass sounds good, but not as "there" as the rest of the band. Super sweet sound. One of my benchmarks is always how well you can hear the fret sounds of the mandolin of Another New World by Punch Brothers - great reference tune if you haven't listened to it. Anyway, a definite pass with flying colors on that. What's really surprising is watching the cone movement for EDM - almost nothing compared to how it behaves in a sealed box. I think in this enclosure, low end extension is probably thermally rather than mechanically limited. Anyway, add this to the list of drivers that sound really good in Karlonators!

The sims suggest that it should work fine. The boxes have already been built — turns out to fit into the uMar-KenPlus, uFonkenPlus mold so we will be able to directly compare them to our 2 current favorite 3” drivers. Just need to get around to buying drivers.

dave

Dave, do you have a link to the design that this driver works best in? I tried digging through your website looking for the designs you mentioned, but I didn't find it either because I didn't dig deep enough or because it's too early in the morning and I just passed right by it...

Can't think of a better summary of the DIY speaker experience, using a speaker to clamp another speaker...
IMG_1718.jpg

Can't think of a better summary of the DIY speaker experience, using a speaker to clamp another speaker...
View attachment 693029

Hi ,
any progress on your 0.4 Karlsonators?
I got two of the FE3-25 laying around and don't know what box I should put them in for my 9'x12' office.

I only want to bild it once and not work my way up to the best design.

If xrk971 could chime in and express his thoughts on the difference we can
expect by using twin FE3 in the 0.53 K.nator vs. one in the 0.4 K.nator.

Klaus

i just built my first 0.43x karlsonators with the faital 3fe25.

i can juat say it is just ridiculous the sound coming out of this things.

my cabinets are poorly made, and far from perfect. they are sealed when they need thou.

hell, even the drivers shipped to me came very damaged, and could not return them so i installed them like that.

and still... the sound its amazing. plenty of bass even. actually i am planning to build five 0.5x karlsonators with dual faitals each, built from mdf, and use them in a 5.1 configuration in my HT.

i still dont install the k lens from the karlsonator, so these might sound even better!

MVIMG_20180812_212841.jpeg MVIMG_20180812_212655.jpeg MVIMG_20180812_212646.jpeg IMG_20180720_124648.jpeg IMG_20180720_124709.jpeg MVIMG_20180813_212806.jpeg

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Great to hear more success stories of the little Karlsonators!

Be aware that several folks who built Karlsonators out of wood/MDF or plywood have reported that they do not sound as good as foam core or XPS foam. There is some nice sampling of the sound waves mixed with re-radiated sound that may be contributing to this. The complaints with wooden boxes is that they sound “boxy”. Perhaps more care with felt damping or BASF / Mr Clean magic erasers can help?

Just be cautious and make one test box in wood first before cutting all 5.

You can try using silly putty to pull the dented dustcap out. Or a small tube attached to a vacuum pump works. I have also heard someone said his girlfriend gave it a good kiss and it came back out. :)

Last edited:
Great to hear more success stories of the little Karlsonators!

Be aware that several folks who built Karlsonators out of wood/MDF or plywood have reported that they do not sound as good as foam core or XPS foam. There is some nice sampling of the sound waves mixed with re-radiated sound that may be contributing to this. The complaints with wooden boxes is that they sound “boxy”. Perhaps more care with felt damping or BASF / Mr Clean magic erasers can help?

Just be cautious and make one test box in wood first before cutting all 5.

You can try using silly putty to pull the dented dustcap out. Or a small tube attached to a vacuum pump works. I have also heard someone said his girlfriend gave it a good kiss and it came back out. :)

Hi xrk971,
I am still not certain what foam core really means.
Is it a soft or hard foam between two layers of paper?
Could I expect the same performance from XPS?
The thinnest xps I can find is 20mm thick, would this be
overkill?

I am really torn between the FHL and the Karlsonator.
If the twin 3FE25 Karlsonator can match the bass performance
of the FHL then I will go with the K.nator.

Klaus

Hey Klaus,
I think if you built the single driver version of this you would be far from disappointed, especially in near field. These really are high performing drivers, and they do great in this enclosure. Hope that answers your question!

Thanks for the recommendation.
I really might have to build both versions because I
can not find a post of a person who build both to compare.

Klaus

My recommendation in that case, Klaus, would be to order two of the drivers, try the .53x in mono, and compare it to the .40x in mono, then decide if the difference is worth the extra $40 in drivers.
To answer the question about foamcore, it is indeed the firm foam with paper laminated to the outside.

I have a pair of FaitalPRO 3FE25 3" Professional Full-Range Woofer 8 Ohm.........Now, I'd like to build a BLH or maybe a BVR for these........

Hmm, Fhm = 2*Fs/Qes' = < ~ 275 Hz, so a BVR to get [upper] mid-bass/lower mids BSC.

Flc = Fs*Qes'/2 = > ~ 44 Hz, so a large, but viable BLH for low power apps unless folded up/truncated into a corner.

Qes' = Qes + any added series resistance: mh-audio.nl - Home

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.