Foam Core and 3FE25... Maybe BLH?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,
I have a pair of Faital 3fe25s laying around, as seen here:
FaitalPRO 3FE25 3" Professional Full-Range Woofer 8 Ohm
(they're actually the ones in the customer photos section lol) and I'm not really happy with the enclosure I've got them in now. I've been massively inspired by all the foam core work XRK has been doing, and there's a dollar tree right next to the gym I'm going to in four hours... I think you can see where I'm going here. Now, I'd like to build a BLH or maybe a BVR for these, but I'm far from an expert on anything at all, much less quarter-wave physics, so I'd like some guidance on how to get there. I've read most of the MJK papers on the subject, but parsing out the sections specific to back-loaded horns without having any kind of background knowledge is a little bit daunting.

Thanks guys!

I'll put it a plug for the Mini Karlsonators. If you haven't already, check out the thread link below. There are pre-drawn foam core designs already done. They are some satisfying and relatively quick builds. I built a pair of the 0.40x with some Dayton PS95-8 drivers and I'm about to start the 0.53x dual 3FE25-16 build very soon as well. The 0.40x scale mini-k's are also a good fit for your single 3FE25 drivers.

Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FD's

Last edited:
Seems like someone did some Karlsonators with the 4fe35 if memory serves me right... I've been thinking about those, too. Of course, the thing about foam core is that you can build so many enclosures, since the materials are next to free and it only costs time

Last edited:
Since you have so much foam board and would like to build BLHs as well - a good one to try would be the Frugel-Horn Lite:
Frugel-Horn Lite for 3" drivers
But, you would probably have to double up the foam for the larger sections like the side walls and baffle.
Would be interesting as I have never seen a FHL with 3FE35 drivers before.

I have heard the dual 3FE35 (16 ohm) in 0.53X Karlsonators and they are unbelievably good sounding. Fantastic soundstage and imaging with a SE Class A amp.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The FH lite would be a good candidate for foam core and 3FE22. 25 could work but it’s got a higher Qts more suited to TL’s and Karlsonators.

Twocents, did you mean dual 3FE25-16’s? (Not 3FE35)

The BLh form post 17 was made before I knew how to model speakers and probably not very good.

The homage to the FH3 is better and let’s you make cool looking curved rear buttresses.

Frugel-Horn Lite for 3" drivers

Last edited:
I think the Ks are probably a better way to go at first for this project, as I've been meaning to build a pair of near-field bookshelf type form factor speakers for my computer. Currently, I'm flanked by two four-and-a-half foot tall PVC T-lines, so ideally I'd like to do something that isn't floorstanding.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
...Frugel-Horn Lite...

As XRK showed in his premonition build of something like the FHL showed using for-core ias an option.

This particular design has proven to be very versatile and performs at a very high level, stunning some people when they have trouble beleiving that what they hear is coming from such a small driver.

I haven’t tries this driver but a set is in the plan, and trying them in both a microSized miniOnken and in the FHL are both planned.

dave

I built the fhl in foamcore using the 3fe25 and it sounded very good. You might want to consider baffle step compensation. You should also consider some outriggers as it is very light and falls over quite easily :D compared to the 0.4x Karlsonator I would say the latter wins in the treble department but fhl has more low end. Overall I was very surprised at the sound coming from that little cheap driver!

Edit: here is a link http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...board-speaker-enclosures-290.html#post5290418

Last edited:
I built the fhl in foamcore using the 3fe25 and it sounded very good

Wow, that 10mm foam core is way thicker than the stuff that's readily available here! I'm just working with the 3/16" stuff that's a buck a sheet, but XRK already showed that you can build a floorstanding horn with it no problem. I was planning on building a FLH at some point, but I'll HAVE to use some of the five leftover sheets for one now that I know that the little Faital does well in it.

Dave, good to see you on this post. I was actually looking at the miniOnkens the other day, you think the 3fe25s would work in them?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.