What questions would you ask a wideband driver designer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Years ago Mark had a version of the A6(metal only at the time) with a rectangular flange/mounting plate that would have facilitated that easily, and I'd opine with pretty decent aesthetics. I think Folks like Peerless / Vifa and others that truncate at least one pair of sides flat actually make for a fussier time if you want tightly space a series of them and rebate for flush mounting.

I would like to see how Mark would go about making a subwoofer that can meet these exacting standards. It would be an interesting looking thing I'm sure.

In the video, Mark stated that massive woofers and subwoofers are more-or-less useless for accurately reproducing music.

They may be able to produce a 40Hz sine wave, Mark says, but they cannot reproduce the "sub-frequencies" that distinguish a double bass playing a 40Hz tone from a bass guitar playing a 40Hz tone. Why? Because their massive cones absorb/mask those sub-frequencies. This makes them mere "atmosphere generators." They make "a sound" but not "music." That, says Mark, is why we need a driver like the proposed "Alpair WW." Its large, light cone can accurately reproduce bass signals, unlike a traditional subwoofer/woofer.

It seems obvious that subwoofers cannot reproduce the harmonics that distinguish a double bass playing a low C from a bass guitar playing a low C. But who would ever task a massive woofer/subwoofer with reproducing those frequencies? Isn't that what we have crossovers for?

So, sure, they are useless for reproducing music full-range. But they seem uniquely capable/well suited to accurately reproducing the portion of music they were designed for thanks, in part, to their mass.

Say I have a 15" subwoofer with a well designed motor capable of accurately controlling the cone. Say I cross it to an Alpair 11MS at 100Hz.

The Alpair's thin light cone would accurately reproduce all the sub-frequences the subwoofer's can't, and the subwoofer, operating in its pistonic range with its massive sturdy cone, could accurately reproduce all the lower frequencies that would destroy a thin, light cone.

So the mass of a subwoofer/woofer seems an asset to musical reproduction, when used properly.

What am I missing?

Or am I misunderstanding?

+1
I would be excited about that.

Not to derail the thread or anything.
But I just got that instant image of Mark dealing speaker drivers just like the scene in Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels.

Was going to quote a line from Lock Stock, but the quote on IMDB must be wrong?!
It says: "What school of finance did you study?" but in the movie, it clearly sounds like he's saying "Let's call a finance deduce study:"

Here's a text version, slightly edited by yours truly.

"Nick the Greek: Dunno Tom. Seems expensive.

Tom: Seems? Well, this seems to be a waste of my time. That is 900 nicker in any shop you're lucky enough to find one in. And you're complaining about 200? Let's call a finance deduce study: "It's a deal, it's a steal, it's the sale of the ******* century!" In fact, **** it Nick, I think I'll keep it!

Nick the Greek: All right all right, keep your Alans on!

[Peels off notes from his wad]

Nick the Greek: Here's a ton.

Tom, Eddie: Jesus Christ!

Eddie: You could choke a dozen donkeys on that! And you're haggling over one hundred pound? What d'you do when you're not buying stereos Nick? Finance revolutions?

Nick the Greek: 100 pounds is still 100 pounds.

Tom: Not when the price is 200 pounds it's not! And certainly not when you've got Liberia's deficit in your skyrocket. Tighter than a duck's butt you are. Now, c'mon. Lemme feel the fibre of your fabric."

Actually, I am wondering how it is possible that the new MS drivers can work properly over time without shortening the voice coil former + basket further. It is a remarkable engineering feat just to make that driver.
But I can not help wondering if the next step will not be shortening former + basket to reduce potential offset of weight centre.

It is a remarkable engineering feat just to make that driver.

Exactly this, Mark is a remarkable engineer and has approached this problem with all the due diligence the problem presents.

Look at it like this, would it be worth delivering a next generation driver to the public unless you were absolutely sure it worked. Failure would be the ruination of his hard won reputation and possibly several small businesses like mine. I talk with Mark a LOT and am confident he has answered and tested all his engineering problems. I'd not have a shipment of them on the way otherwise :)

Of course Mark also wants to develop this idea further and there will of course be other 'engineering feats' in the works :D

Stefan

Oh, of course, do not misunderstand me.
I am certain that Mark has done a very good job, and the reliability of the new design is not in question at all.

I was merely pondering what the next step might be. A complete redesign of the basket structure together with reducing the vc former just seems like a logical progression, there might be more to gain there.
Aside from hopefully making the ultimate in low frequency drivers. :)

Yes I am sure there will be developments, Mark is passionate about the mechanical efficiency, adding lightness where he can, of course reducing the effective mass on the motor side of the 'fulcrum' has been instrumental in these new designs, some of that has been delivered by good old weight saving, some by the shortening of the VC, partly now the spider isn't in the way and partly because of the new shallower profile. Who know's how much more Mark can shorten/lighten this area. Obviously we have spoken about his direction of travel but I can't possibly publicly speculate on what design choices might help him get to his ultimate goal;)

I see your problem, on the other hand the drivers them selves are obviously a commercial design which are intended for DIY application. I can talk about application all you want but talking about future direction would firstly be speculation on my part which given my position may be taken as gospel and secondly might get me in trouble if I get to close to the bone :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.