What questions would you ask a wideband driver designer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Should there be accepted standards/consensus as to what constitutes even a minimal "home theatre" - i.e. is 2.1 good enough, or do you want to surf the bleeding edge of whatever the current technology wave is? - that might be a bit easier to enunciate. Absent such, I'd opine that higher excursion / power handling at approximately an octave lower than is found in most musical program material should definitely be near the top of any list.

To repeat myself yet again, I've been quite happy with the performance of a modest - now 7.1- surround system using Mark Audio Alpair drivers for all but the LFE channel for the best part of the last decade. The room is approx 340 ft^2, and I seldom reach and certainly never broach THX reference levels - those things kinda matter, I think.

I agree with Chris, the ability to have a huge dynamic swing for LFE is desirable in movies but almost never needed in music. Being able to locate the voice is hugely important obviously. Most use a centre channel, I however prefer a stereo pair using small drivers with good dispersion. Currently I use a pair of Frugel-Horn Lites with Alpair 5 drivers. These are my favourite speakers EVER. I run them full range and use just small sub which comes in about 70 Hz. The central image with this type of set up has no need for a centre channel. I think that full range drivers are uniquely positioned for this sort of image intelligibility.

I agree with Chris, the ability to have a huge dynamic swing for LFE is desirable in movies but almost never needed in music. Being able to locate the voice is hugely important obviously. Most use a centre channel, I however prefer a stereo pair using small drivers with good dispersion. Currently I use a pair of Frugel-Horn Lites with Alpair 5 drivers. These are my favourite speakers EVER. I run them full range and use just small sub which comes in about 70 Hz. The central image with this type of set up has no need for a centre channel. I think that full range drivers are uniquely positioned for this sort of image intelligibility.

For a while I had a pair of Philips 12202/M8 in u-frames crossed at 100Hz to a pair of 15" subwoofers in my living room. Active crossover, DSP, the works.

Was it Hi-Fi? Not exactly.
Was it Home Theater? Not exactly.
Was it awfully fun? Absolutely.

Any time I had new guests, they had to sit through the 1812 Overture at full blast. It was like having actual cannons in the room. Haha!

I sold all of that. I now plan to build a system much like you described. Small full range drivers, subwoofer crossed in at their natural LF roll-off point. I think it's the best of all worlds. Huge deep bass when you need it, and Hi-Fi musicality/pinpoint imaging when you need it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.