Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

What questions would you ask a wideband driver designer?
What questions would you ask a wideband driver designer?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th July 2018, 07:59 AM   #21
ticovski is offline ticovski  Europe
diyAudio Member

I would like to ask Mark what he thinks about possibility of producing wide band driver, let's say, usable from 250 Hz - 16(20) kHz with 93+ dB/1W/1m. I don't care if it would be made of metal, paper or exotic metamaterial of his choice.
Old 17th July 2018, 04:08 PM   #22
KaffiMann is offline KaffiMann  Norway
diyAudio Member

Another vote on >93dbw 250hz up.
Would love to see that.

Edit:
Oh! And what kind of beer does he like?
Old 17th July 2018, 07:24 PM   #23
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Mark attempted something close to those performance metrics with the A12P - albeit didn't limit bandwidth to as low as only 250Hz or so. I'm guessing he'd not consider that a true "full-range / wide-band " driver
Old 17th July 2018, 07:40 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

If you're gonna help it anyway, why bother?

Almost impossible to reach any sort of holy grail with a single driver. 2way is sort of the ultimate and still realistic goal.
I'd like to see him go all out after acknowledging that there are some limits too tough to beat.
Old 17th July 2018, 11:21 PM   #25
Dr1v3n is offline Dr1v3n  United States
diyAudio Member

I would also like to see a small driver with a smaller flange or one that is shaved flat on the top and bottom, geared towards an array type arrangement. I already use 24 Pluvia 7's, 12 per side with very minimal EQ.
Old 18th July 2018, 12:37 AM   #26
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Years ago Mark had a version of the A6(metal only at the time) with a rectangular flange/mounting plate that would have facilitated that easily, and I'd opine with pretty decent aesthetics. I think Folks like Peerless / Vifa and others that truncate at least one pair of sides flat actually make for a fussier time if you want tightly space a series of them and rebate for flush mounting.
Old 19th July 2018, 10:06 AM   #27
Dr1v3n is offline Dr1v3n  United States
diyAudio Member

I've got 2 MA Alpair 5.2 (3" FR) running with Tom's LM3886DR Amps placed inside each enclosure. They sound good for point source. At .054cuft, the computer model predicted about 200Hz rolloff which sounds about right.
Old 19th July 2018, 12:10 PM   #28
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knarfor View Post

What am I missing?

Or am I misunderstanding?
I have no idea what he is saying either, Fourier denial?
Old 20th July 2018, 11:42 AM   #29
grahamgraham is offline grahamgraham  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I would like to see how Mark would go about making a subwoofer that can meet these exacting standards. It would be an interesting looking thing I'm sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knarfor View Post
In the video, Mark stated that massive woofers and subwoofers are more-or-less useless for accurately reproducing music.

They may be able to produce a 40Hz sine wave, Mark says, but they cannot reproduce the "sub-frequencies" that distinguish a double bass playing a 40Hz tone from a bass guitar playing a 40Hz tone. Why? Because their massive cones absorb/mask those sub-frequencies. This makes them mere "atmosphere generators." They make "a sound" but not "music." That, says Mark, is why we need a driver like the proposed "Alpair WW." Its large, light cone can accurately reproduce bass signals, unlike a traditional subwoofer/woofer.

It seems obvious that subwoofers cannot reproduce the harmonics that distinguish a double bass playing a low C from a bass guitar playing a low C. But who would ever task a massive woofer/subwoofer with reproducing those frequencies? Isn't that what we have crossovers for?

So, sure, they are useless for reproducing music full-range. But they seem uniquely capable/well suited to accurately reproducing the portion of music they were designed for thanks, in part, to their mass.

Say I have a 15" subwoofer with a well designed motor capable of accurately controlling the cone. Say I cross it to an Alpair 11MS at 100Hz.

The Alpair's thin light cone would accurately reproduce all the sub-frequences the subwoofer's can't, and the subwoofer, operating in its pistonic range with its massive sturdy cone, could accurately reproduce all the lower frequencies that would destroy a thin, light cone.

So the mass of a subwoofer/woofer seems an asset to musical reproduction, when used properly.

What am I missing?

Or am I misunderstanding?
Old 25th July 2018, 08:11 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

+1
I would be excited about that.

Not to derail the thread or anything.
But I just got that instant image of Mark dealing speaker drivers just like the scene in Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels.

Was going to quote a line from Lock Stock, but the quote on IMDB must be wrong?!
It says: "What school of finance did you study?" but in the movie, it clearly sounds like he's saying "Let's call a finance deduce study:"

Here's a text version, slightly edited by yours truly.

"Nick the Greek: Dunno Tom. Seems expensive.

Tom: Seems? Well, this seems to be a waste of my time. That is 900 nicker in any shop you're lucky enough to find one in. And you're complaining about 200? Let's call a finance deduce study: "It's a deal, it's a steal, it's the sale of the ******* century!" In fact, **** it Nick, I think I'll keep it!

Nick the Greek: All right all right, keep your Alans on!

[Peels off notes from his wad]

Nick the Greek: Here's a ton.

Tom, Eddie: Jesus Christ!

Eddie: You could choke a dozen donkeys on that! And you're haggling over one hundred pound? What d'you do when you're not buying stereos Nick? Finance revolutions?

Nick the Greek: 100 pounds is still 100 pounds.

Tom: Not when the price is 200 pounds it's not! And certainly not when you've got Liberia's deficit in your skyrocket. Tighter than a duck's butt you are. Now, c'mon. Lemme feel the fibre of your fabric."

What questions would you ask a wideband driver designer?Hide this!Advertise here!