New Markaudio Drivers

A couple of desktop labyrinths also done -
Granted no x-over components required and an easy impedance load, still, 88db efficiency isn't much to work with for those with a low watt SET fetish. That said, I'd like to know which of these or others proposed plans including Frugal XL if applicable for A11 MS would present the least drop in driver sensitivity due to box loss?

IINM, a back loaded horn does nothing to increase driver's overall sensitivity - when properly designed they can add a certain amount of gain below the driver's mass corner (did I get that right, Scott / Greg?) . Having only fairly recently been cured from the fetish to which you allude - still too many remaining to cite under forum rules of etiquette - I can understand the siren call of high sensitivity. The only SE(T*) amp with which I have experience driving anything in an XL would be the ACA * T for Transistor? - and she's a pretty visceral few watts for sure.

IINM, a back loaded horn does nothing to increase driver's overall sensitivity - when properly designed they can add a certain amount of gain below the driver's mass corner (did I get that right, Scott / Greg?) .

Right, the driver's base sensitivity is calculated out in its mid band, though of course one can choose one or more specific frequencies to get a higher spec in audio's version of the old muscle car horsepower 'wars', but normally not one to design a system by.

Right again, all [T/S] speaker box design peters out at the driver's upper mass corner [Fhm].

Fhm = 2*Fs/Qts'

Qts' = Qts + any added series resistance: mh-audio.nl - Home

GM

IINM, a back loaded horn does nothing to increase driver's overall sensitivity - when properly designed they can add a certain amount of gain below the driver's mass corner (did I get that right, Scott / Greg?) . -
Right, the driver's base sensitivity is calculated out in its mid band, though of course one can choose one or more specific frequencies to get a higher spec in audio's version of the old muscle car horsepower 'wars', but normally not one to design a system by.

Right again,all [T/S] speaker box design peters out at the driver's upper mass corner .
-
GM
Can anyone here run simulations of A11MS in a Frugal XL vs. Pencil 11 transfer functions to illustrate the above?

Dear all,
I haven’t been around these forums for a few years, had a browse yesterday & boom �� these stunning new Mark Audio drivers have emerged & seriously caught my attention.

I would like to purchase a pair of these ASAP but I could use the advice of you experienced guys on which model etc, would it be ok to ask questions in this thread ?

Dear all,
I haven’t been around these forums for a few years, had a browse yesterday & boom �� these stunning new Mark Audio drivers have emerged & seriously caught my attention.

I would like to purchase a pair of these ASAP but I could use the advice of you experienced guys on which model etc, would it be ok to ask questions in this thread ?
Ask away! I think a lot of us are excited about the new MS series.
My best guess is 7MS will be better if you prioritize imaging and speed, 11MS for greater bandwidth (lower extension) and sensitivity/efficiency.

Last edited:
Can anyone here run simulations of A11MS in a Frugal XL vs. Pencil 11 transfer functions to illustrate the above?

Don't have the XL plans, so just did a 'quickie' MS 11 scoop bin/BVR/BLH and the MS 11 Pensil to give you a 'ballpark' comparison.

Note the mid band efficiency is the same with cab volume [Vb], shape accounting for any mid bass gain [~200 L Vs 63 L].

GM

Attachments

• Alpair MS11 BVR frequency.PNG
    Alpair MS11 BVR frequency.PNG
    13 KB · Views: 1,401
  • Alpair MS11 BVR phase.PNG
    Alpair MS11 BVR phase.PNG
    19.5 KB · Views: 1,395
  • Alpair MS11 Pensil frequency.PNG
    Alpair MS11 Pensil frequency.PNG
    12.6 KB · Views: 1,386
  • Alpair MS11 Pensil phase.PNG
    Alpair MS11 Pensil phase.PNG
    13.1 KB · Views: 1,371
Dear all,
These drivers look extremely interesting & I’d really appreciate some advice from you experienced guys.

As shown in the photo, my system has the left & right speakers set into a decorative partition (covering an old/unsightly fireplace) with an active bass unit either side, a Lyngdorf integrated amp performs xover/time alignment duties & powers the L/R speakers, listening distance is 2.9metres from the face of the partition.

I’d like to replace the L/R speakers with a pair of these Alpair MS & flank them with a floor to ceiling stack of four 12”woofers per side, advice on target xover frequency appreciated but I’d guess around 200-400hz ?

Questions if I may gentlemen ?

1,Which driver would be more suitable, 7 or 11MS ?
2, could they be used sealed in this kind of configuration ?

Cheers guys
Jason

Attachments

• 788FE604-9053-4C51-BD52-37A8C8DD16B3.jpeg
    788FE604-9053-4C51-BD52-37A8C8DD16B3.jpeg
    966.4 KB · Views: 1,190
That is an interesting and good looking setup you have got there :)

Anything from 200 up would be good, you could get a little lower maybe but you might have to take into account the impedance slope of the A11MS, from 200 up it's fairly benign so filters will simple. On the other hand, you could just run the A11MS full range in a sealed box as you suggested and then just bring the subs in below that. I'm not sure which subs you've got but not that many are happy up around 200Hz

Stefan

That is an interesting and good looking setup you have got there :)

Anything from 200 up would be good, you could get a little lower maybe but you might have to take into account the impedance slope of the A11MS, from 200 up it's fairly benign so filters will simple. On the other hand, you could just run the A11MS full range in a sealed box as you suggested and then just bring the subs in below that. I'm not sure which subs you've got but not that many are happy up around 200Hz

Stefan

Hi Stefan, thank you very much :)

The Lyngdorf integrated amp that I have & would be driving the A11MS, has user selectable digital xovers/time alignment & room correction built in so is very easy to play around with different configurations once the system is up & running.

What kind of size cabinet would be needed for the A11MS sealed (assuming 200hz upwards xover)?

The current subwoofers will be making way for a new pair that are suitable to xover up to 400ish hz, my initial idea is a floor to ceiling array of four 12” pro style drivers each side, I didn’t want to ask for driver suggestions on this thread as it’s dedicated to these new MA beauties.

Many thanks
Jason

Last edited:
Thanks Jason.

@lugo689 Dave has got a demo pair on the way from me, I don't think these are available in the USA directly yet. I got the first batch, Japan (who are by far the largest market) will be next. Hopefully production will be ramped up pretty quick as I've a feeling the small amount I've got available won't be lasting to long! There has been a real outpouring of excitement about these new drivers.

Stefan

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Was interested, but maybe I just missed it in the thread, did you order these in the US or coming in from the UK?

I placed my order with Madisound. I expect it will be on th eorder of 2 months before they ship.

Stefan has been kind enuff to ship me a pair of the A11ms for this years diyFEST. We will be able to compare Eikona2 in the Hawking Memorial Obelisk, the Alpair 10.3eN in Pensil10.3, and the A11ms in either FHXL or the Woden ML-TL Chris is threatening to build before his shop priviledges are suspended.

dave