Full range speaker as headphones

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Speakers instead of headphones.jpg This guy's got it licked!

Last edited:
So now you're thinking smaller than 15"?

That must be a weight off your mind!
Actually I realized the horizontal width of a 15'' driver would be awkward since it would extend beyond my face..not that I'm against it if it sounds better anyway.

Higher q drivers are better. I am thinking .5 or higher.
Good point, but I thought .7 was the minimum for OBS/infinite baffle?
How relevant is qts when the driver is sealed around your ears?

Last edited:
Those full range drivers have whizzer cones.

I would caution against using them, as the whizzers could result in a piercing treble when the 8" speakers are placed close to the ears.

A single diaphragm 8" speaker may provide a better frequency balance in your application.

Last edited:
Good point, but I thought .7 was the minimum for OBS/infinite baffle?
Not the same. Take any open FR driver and put it close to your ear. Notice the bass?
How relevant is qts when the driver is sealed around your ears?
Doesn't need to be sealed around your ears, just positioned close to them.

Not the same. Take any open FR driver and put it close to your ear. Notice the bass?
I don't have any FR drivers lying around so you tell me.

Doesn't need to be sealed around your ears, just positioned close to them.

Any reason why I should not just seal them around my ears?
100% of headphones I've ever seen have earpads to seal the enclosure around your ear. I assume this is to prevent bass from escaping.

I also keep imagining the sound getting corrupted if the sound from the drivers get cross coupled with each other since they are pointing in each others direction.

Last edited:
I also keep imagining the sound getting corrupted if the sound from the drivers get cross coupled with each other since they are pointing in each others direction.

Yes, cross coupling is what differentiates loudspeakers from headphones.

Headphones do not allow cross coupling, so do not reproduce the stereo sound field as well as loudspeakers do.

Do want headphones or head speakers?

I think head speakers should not be sealed to your ears.

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Dynamic headphones are actually small full range drivers...so using fullrange speaker as a headphones is being done on daily bases.

Going up in the size of full range speaker is problematic, as laws of physics dictate that breakup point for cone speakers is decreasing with increasing size. At certain size heights are messed up, to me this happens once you go above 4-5".

Yeah but if you use a high sensitivity full range driver that is designed to be used as a full on speaker and not a headphone driver then you will be using it far below its intended SPL when placing it against your head, this means the excursions will be far lower than normal.
Wouldn't this counteract the cone breakup issue?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.