Is it worth buying theese tannoy gold drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everybody!
I have the opportunity to buy really cheap a pair of vibtage tannoy gold 15'' drivers. Unfortunatelly they have some problems. Do you think that they cold be used in a diy enclosure or maybe they are way too damaged and i should pass on the opportunity? Can they be fixed?
Thank you!

Attachments

• 223125258_3_525x700_difuzoare-boxe-15-inch-8ohmi-tannoy-boxe-sisteme-audio_rev002.jpg
    223125258_3_525x700_difuzoare-boxe-15-inch-8ohmi-tannoy-boxe-sisteme-audio_rev002.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 243
  • 223125258_1_934x700_difuzoare-boxe-15-inch-8ohmi-tannoy-bacau_rev002.jpg
    223125258_1_934x700_difuzoare-boxe-15-inch-8ohmi-tannoy-bacau_rev002.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 246
New
It seems i will be getting them today. The seller doesn't have the crossovers unfortunatelly, but i intend to make some after the schematic posted on the tannoy specialty websites.
What do you guys think, will the sound be affected to a high degree because of the tear?
Is it wort investing the time and money in this speaker? Will they sound better than modern hifi speaker in the 2-4k price range?

Have you thought of using a HD minidsp and going avtive. This should be a good improvement esoecially for the EQ the tweeter section needs. As far as cabinets go is it possible to do a mass loaded transmission line with the low Q ot the bass section or would a big vent reflex be better? MTL my favourite style cabinet. Clean mid with solid tuneful bass.

New

Is it wort investing the time and money in this speaker? Will they sound better than modern hifi speaker in the 2-4k price range?

FIRST they need restoration. You should not even be thinking of using them in the condition pictured. They need re-coning and probably new suspension.
This will not be cheap! You will then have a classic pair of drivers.

They will sound different to most modern speakers.
Whether they sound "better" is up to you to judge.
They need a suitable crossover and cabinets.
You are not just going to put these in a little box and get decent performance.

In all honesty if you are not committed to spending big on these I would suggest selling them on.

Sorry if that's not the answer you wanted to hear.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.