TB W8-1808 with Dallas II/III Horn ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone have a link to or comment on using a Dallas II/III back loaded horn cabinet with a W8-1808 driver.

Something like this - Dallas Style Rear Horn - DIY Audio Projects - StereoNET

Driver spec - https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/264-894-tang-band-w8-1808-specifications-46404.pdf

I understand the Dallas II was designed for the FE206EN but the W8-1808 looks a really nice driver with a bit more extension in the bass and a slightly better behaved top end.

Any comment on the suitability of this pairing would be greatly appreciated.

No chance if you want Dallas to function properly. The 1808 has completely different response & load / size requirements to the design driver and it does not really need a back horn (other than to enhance dynamic range). The acoustic crossover & horn dimensions are mismatched to the TB unit. If you want a horn for the 1808 you'll need to use one designed for it. If it's Dallas II you want, use the driver it was designed for (or rather it's FE206En successor) or the FE208ESigma.

Note that Ron did not design Dallas with curved internal surfaces; they alter behaviour somewhat from his intended load / structure & reduce the effectiveness of the acoustic low-pass.

Last edited:
Thanks @scottmoose, much appreciated.

Also saw the Viech horn design which looks very similar to the Dallas II, here is a load of measurements with different drivers in the same box that is quite interesting.

Hifi-Selbstbau - Viech-Treffen 2009

Design info here - Cyburgs-Viech von Berndt Burghard

Looks like the TB W8-1772 is more suited to a horn than the 1808 which, on more reading, needs a large (~90l) ported (MLTL) box to get the best out of it.

Interesting you say the FE208ES will work OK, what would be the advantage/differences over the FE206EN for double the price?

A third option price in between those two would be an enabled pair of fe206en from planet10 - the fe206en2. I've enjoyed my 206en's but they can get harsh on some music. How successful the enable process is at getting rid of that harshness I can't say as I've never heard a pair but based on my experiences with other drivers I've gotten from planet10, I'd bet the chances are good that you'd be happy with them. As a bonus, they're really cool looking.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.