Active super tweeter section

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you are just asking if you can add little tweeting on top? Sure. You need nothing but a series capacitor. If too much tweeting, add an L-pad. Simple as could be and prolly would brighten-up a great many single-driver systems out there and work better with room acoustics.

Around 1960, I sat a little Electro-Voice T35 tweeter horn* on top of my Karlson-15. Swell, at least for the time.

B.
*I must dig it out from my basement and test with REW... wouldn't that be interesting

Last edited:
Are you saying you'd like to avoid having even a passive crossover in the way?

If so, you'd need to look hard to find some kind of good tweeter that was very strong so as not to be destroyed when large low freq signals are fed to it. I can't say, but there might be some.

B.

Hi Bill,

I assume you plan to have a active crossover and additional amplifier and tweeter.

I have tried such a combination before and I really like it. I think the interesting thing you can do and I find it works well is not to face it forward. Face it backwards or top firing. If top firing, aim it at a cone to disperse the sound. I personally like rear firing. The advantage of going active is your tweeter needs to be much louder than your front since it will be so dispersed.

Oon

Hi Bill,

I assume you plan to have a active crossover and additional amplifier and tweeter.

I have tried such a combination before and I really like it. I think the interesting thing you can do and I find it works well is not to face it forward. Face it backwards or top firing. If top firing, aim it at a cone to disperse the sound. I personally like rear firing. The advantage of going active is your tweeter needs to be much louder than your front since it will be so dispersed.

Oon

Thanks, this is exactly what I failed to convey in the first post, a tweeter with its own amp, maybe a chip amp with active filter, not sure if there are any cheap chip amps with this option, a 2.1 chip amp perhaps.
Was also thinking rear or top firing. Using a small dayton amt or similar, just ambient, say 10khz and above

Last edited:
With rear firing the Soundstage widens tremendously. There is a lot more echo of the sound as opposed to just direct sonics. I added in 30ms delay before and the depth of my room increase significantly. 30ms is as if the sounds hits a wall 5m behind and bounces back.

The easiest way to accomplish this experimentation is to buy a minidsp opendrc. With the dsp and 8 channel output, programing the output is a breaze...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.