Small full range

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well I don't speaka the deutshe but I could tell it's a dayton rs100-8 driver. Check parts express for some similar designs. It's a full range driver so no crossover. I guess that's a bsc network in the photo? A cube is not really a good shape because all the dimensions are equal. Preferably you'd want all 3 dims different and to offset the driver on the baffle. You're not going to get get much bass below ~150hz out of this design and will need helper woofers. Search on WAW or FAST. There are other designs using this driver that will give you more bass. I have no experience with it but other members do and hopefully will chime in.

Hi Andrea.

That's a nice driver, but not the best value for money. There is a thread on the 'best bang for buck' drivers somewhere. Where all the tiny full ranges in general use are talked about.

Where are you, and is it a small box you must build?

Edit: Are, here it is Vifa TC9FD18-08 best bang for the buck

The glass version of this vifa is better, but doesn't have the top end extension. It's $9 at the moment, and placed quite near it's $80 cousin in sound. So while the cheaper TC wins over the TG at RRP, the TG is better and at the moment cheaper. A for-sale advert for these is open, as used equipment, which if outside the states, might save on taxes. In 3 liters they almost extend down to 100hz. Where a woofer could be used.

Last edited:
Ok here si The tingh

I live in Italy

Europe

I ma looking for something small and flat

They will be the suuround and the Atmos

If they will be able to go down the 70herz it copule be better but if they will be arrive on 100 here it will be ok

In Italy is little bit difficoukt to find the right driver

And I could be arrive on 13 cm like a dimension but I would prefer the possibility that I could do slim

Wha do you suggested?

Thanks Andrea

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
As has been said, a cube is not the best shape. And MDF is not the best material.

If you need slim and small you probably want a 3 or 3.5” driver. One can get down into the 1.5-2.5 litre volume range, vented to be able to reach into the 70 Hz range.

There are lots of them. Of the ones i have heard and comment on the Mark Audio Alpair 5.2 & FF85wk are our favourites. The larger Alpai r6.2m or p as well. The Vifa TG9 is the next tier down along with Aura NS3 and FOuntek FR88ex. The aforementioned TC9 i found very dissapointing and haven’t even been able to give them all away.

In Europe there are also Visatons and Monacors we rarely see and Tangband are popular.

Alpair 6.2p in a 2.5 litre miniOnken.

dave

I ma looking for something small and flat

They will be the suuround and the Atmos

If they will be able to go down the 70herz it copule be better but if they will be arrive on 100 here it will be ok
Small and flat are easy, but anything small that gets to 70Hz will have very low efficiency. 100Hz is probably a better target.

In Italy is little bit difficoukt to find the right driver
Italy has Faital Pro, they have been discussed many times on this forum.

If ordering from elsewhere Europe is easy, check out the Visaton B80 or the Scanspeak full range drivers.

The low budget option: Digikey stocks some of the Peeerless full range drivers, and they do free shipping.

For flat

I mean the shape of the box

For exemplar right now I have a Fountek FE85 and I pit indie a a box like 20 x20 x6 cm it has a very good sound except for the bass that of course are very limited

I am looking for a full range (4” it could be ok to that give me a more bass response but with te amazing full range sound.

I saw that I could take the Vifa in Germany for 15 € plus sheepment

There are same competitor ?

I can manage to spend more if the quality it is Mach better

MDF is not the best material

True, although for such a small box, I'd take a pretty relaxed approach to the engineering :)

Since the boxes will not require a full sheet of plywood, you could consider making them from a couple of cutting boards, e.g. from Ikea.

Here are several attractive projects that have used these as the material:

https://techcrunch.com/2009/05/28/w...n-electric-guitar-from-an-ikea-cutting-board/

https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/ike...ing-board-into-floating-nightstand-5655748945

https://www.ikeahackers.net/2014/03/lamplig-hifi-rack.html

Small and flat are easy, but anything small that gets to 70Hz will have very low efficiency. 100Hz is probably a better target.

Italy has Faital Pro, they have been discussed many times on this forum.

If ordering from elsewhere Europe is easy, check out the Visaton B80 or the Scanspeak full range drivers.

The low budget option: Digikey stocks some of the Peeerless full range drivers, and they do free shipping.

i did not able to find the site Elsewhere Europe, maybe you can send to me the link of the drive?

i found digikey stocks what it could be the code of the peeerless driver that i have to loking?

best regards

Andrea

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
True, although for such a small box, I'd take a pretty relaxed approach to the engineering :)

True, but in a small box the volume of the box material becomes a significant portion of the gross volume. Consider that a box made of 8mm quality ply will be better than a 12mm MDF box.

If one can repurpose other objects for their high quality materials that is clever. And possible in a small box where it would be intimidating for a larger box.

dave

I started down the path of wanting to build a small full range cube speaker for my current project. Then the more I researched the more I moved away from that idea. I settled on a still small 4l sealed enclosure with a Mark audio Pluvia 7 driver, the dealer website had design with dimensions which I copied. I’m making good progress but boy is it labour intensive!!!
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I’m still not past the primer stage.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Matt,

Your link is to a webpage, not a picture so it is not showing up.

4L for the P7 is a little less than optimum but still fine. I’d guess an F10 of near 60 Hz with a small bump before it starts rolling off.

See attached. Do note that these sims are without damping. Damping can increase the apparent volume up to about 20%.

dave

Attachments

• pluvia7-sealed.gif
    pluvia7-sealed.gif
    83.5 KB · Views: 101
i did not able to find the site Elsewhere Europe, maybe you can send to me the link of the drive?

Sorry, I should have written "elsewhere in Europe", meaning other places in Europe. I did not mean a specific site or shop.

If you search for the drivers by name, for example:

"Visaton B80"

"scanspeak 10F/8414G10"

...you might find some sellers with cheap shipping.

i found digikey stocks what it could be the code of the peeerless driver that i have to loking?

There have several good drivers. Make sure you choose an 'in stock' model.

Select:
Manufacturer (Peerless by Tymphany)
Stock Status (in stock)
...and click "apply filters"

The TC9FD18-08 might be perfect for you. They measure well, don't cost much, and are well liked by many. I haven't personally tried them.

There is one that I personally know & like, the NE65W-04-ND.
It is too small, and doesn't go low enough, to suit your application.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.