Benchmark Full Range

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Whatever you ar etrying to show is not showing up in the pictures.

dave

That's the eye of the observer. I clearly see the difference between pics 2 and 3 (they were taken at the same spot, the granulation and extra shine on 3 is the cone texture, not focus.

I could live with it (and probably will have to, shipping is too expensive) but it really sucks to have different speakers on a new pair. This could all be avoided if Madisound had only opened the boxes and checked before shipping.

ow that you point it out i can see the difference in reflectivity. Whst sbout the dent? And the orange peel?
dave

Picture 3 shows the orange peel texture (maybe you can tell better in the Hi-res pictures in the link). After more careful examination it looks like if the cone was not pressed by itself, and instead of being pressed by the tool, had another cone in between, that softened the brushed texture. If that makes sense.

Picture 1 shows the dent in the center of the cross hair. As I said, it is minute. It doesn't make me happy, but if it weren't for the difference in texture I wouldn't have complained.

Just an update here regarding the speakers. Brian @ Madisound was a pleasure to deal with and I just received the replacements.

The new set look alike and I really wanted to state here how pleased I am with Madisound. You know, these days most companies would just turn their back and tell me to complain with the manufacturer. Fortunately Madisound gave me an awesome support.

Just if you curious, the new set both have the slight texture. Turns out the dinged speaker sent first had also a smoother smoother than what seems to be the norm, according to these new arrivals.

Well, I will set them up to break in and hopefully buy some plywood this week!

Had a brain fart: source>preamp>MiniDSP>2 amps. that makes sense

Indeed it does. And with the FH3 and A7.3s crossed at around 200Hz and mated with 8-inch/10-inch drivers doing up to 200Hz, the A7.3s come alive. there's something quite liberating about freeing them from bass duties.

I have FH3 and XL and prefer the imaging of the narrower FH3s, so I use them more! Actually I have some Omnis now and seem to be using them even more.

You can get reasonably decent, good power digital amps for very little and they sound pretty darn fine. I use an ICE power example a fair amount of the time and am astounded at how satisfying it is for the small amount spent.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I see the ding. It’s subtle but there and visible. Should not be present on a brand new driver although so minor probably won’t affect sound. It would bother me too given the cost. That is one disadvantage of driver cones made from thin aluminum - almost a foil like thickness.

Madisound should give you exchange.

Attachments

• A077B953-19FE-4E36-A3B0-2749CA4ABE05.jpeg
    A077B953-19FE-4E36-A3B0-2749CA4ABE05.jpeg
    50.6 KB · Views: 215
Indeed it does. And with the FH3 and A7.3s crossed at around 200Hz and mated with 8-inch/10-inch drivers doing up to 200Hz, the A7.3s come alive. there's something quite liberating about freeing them from bass duties.

Is it really worth having the FH3s if you're crossing so high up?

I'd've thought a smallish sealed box with the appropriate internal treatments (some lining and/or diffusion to break up reflections) would be just fine for 200Hz use, and take up very little space.

Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.