Best box for Alpair 7p or 7.3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
yea, that is fairly true.. endless options with no experience

spells audio nervosa

i wanna rock. i want an Alpair7 driver and enclosure that rawks

i am looking at this as a one shot deal for now as my current locale makes these projects lengthy and expensive... so if i am gonna build just one pair, which paire?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Don’t forget that all the Frugal-Horns turn out to care little what sutible driver you install, so a “new” speaker can be had by just changing the driver and tweaking the stuffing as needed. Build from the start with the (at least) simple supraBaffle and you can collect drivers with supraBaffle attached.

In the original (2nd) prototype FH3 (ie #0000/0001) we soldered alligator clips to the internal wires to make quick swap easy — for the 1st public listening to the FH3. We had A7eN, EL70eN, FE126eN ready to swap in/out.

dave

If you wanna rock I'd suggest you go WAW (woofer aided wideband). Small enclosure for A7 and small other enclosure for 7 or 8 or 10 etc woofer assists. You need crossover and two amps, SS for the woofer aye - but the system does volume effortlessly and, more importantly to my mind, sounds amazing at low volume. The A7 unleashed from doing bass really comes alive. Same with other small full rangers used as wide rangers. There are ifs and buts in terms of size and complexity but worth the effort, really well worth it.

Reactions: 1 user
thanks again to all for your thoughtfull responses..

what I am using now are JBL LSR 305 with the LSR 310s subwoofer
and as an added treat... I am using a Yamaha DXR10 as a Hafler array assist positioned anywhere I feel like putting the box that day... sometimes even in the middle of the two JBL 305!!

so I will have a subwoofer, although the LSR 310s is ...uh...OK sub...it does go low

i am thinking of purchasing an Onkyo RZ or NR or even the TX stereo unit. The HT units have selectable crossover as does the Subwoofer with amp...

If you're looking for the convenience of a one box solution to multi-channel amp with enough DSP onboard to simplify what is sounds like you want, many of the current / recent surround receivers certainly can offer that - but with definite compromises. For example, while most allow independent selection of crossover frequencies for all channels, and many allow for allocation of a pair of front channel surround effect channels to passively bi-amp the front mains pair while taking advantage of the Audyssey, etc auto-calibration EQ function, only a select few will allow for digital crossover within the DSP. I've mentioned before that my 4yr old TX-NR818 will do exactly that -and once you navigate the multi-layers of on-screen menus, it works quite slickly - actually. However, keep in mind these units are designed for AV systems, and you can't set them up without at least a temporary monitor screen, and while you can overlap / gap XO points if you like, you don't have any choice about slopes.

Many of the higher end models will also provide line outputs for all of the surround / zone channels, should you decide on outboard amplification for any of them. Indeed, that's one of the reasons many of them are so honking big - just to have enough room on the back panel for all the inputs and outputs.

So you wanna research the downloadable owner's manuals for each model under consideration to determine which model has the features that you hope will meet your current needs.

That said, back to the question of rawking with the A7.3 - we've done that several times, crossing them over anywhere between 250-320 to dual 7-8" woofers in systems that have probably been seen here several times, and they certainly can. Of course, if you really want to rattle the rafters, separate powered sub(s) will cover that duty. I'd bypass the crossover function on subwoofer amp and use the receiver / processor's DSP.

Reactions: 1 user
Pensil - http://frugal-phile.com/boxlib/pensils/Pensil-Series-set-100711.pdf

To be clear, there are two separate factors in play here:
- I prefer the A7.3 metal or Pluvia70 over the A7P,
- While with any given driver in the three size ranges in which I've heard them play, I've found the Frugel horns to deliver the overall most satisfying performance when compared to other enclosures - but they are not the simplest of builds, and all three have placement / floor space requirements that can be onerous for some folks.

The absolute best enclosures in which I've heard the A7.3 is as the midrange/tweeter in a large MTM with dual A12PW. They are operating from approx 250Hz IIRC,, and are in a highly tapered TL sub-enclosure.

Hi Chris,

You mentioned the Alpair7.3 in a large MTM acting as midrange/tweeter at 250Hz. I assume you high-passed the A7.3? What crossover did you use and what value?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
A12pw-MTM-comp.jpg

We used 1st order PLLXO at 240 Hz, digital 4th order provided by Chris’ Onkyo HT receiver and Aaron designed a 1st order passive XO at about 800 Hz.

dave

If you wanna rock I'd suggest you go WAW (woofer aided wideband). Small enclosure for A7 and small other enclosure for 7 or 8 or 10 etc woofer assists. You need crossover and two amps, SS for the woofer aye - but the system does volume effortlessly and, more importantly to my mind, sounds amazing at low volume. The A7 unleashed from doing bass really comes alive. Same with other small full rangers used as wide rangers. There are ifs and buts in terms of size and complexity but worth the effort, really well worth it.

What did you do for a crossover? And what Woofer are you using?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.