Enclosure for Tang Band w5-2143

To be tested...

My 8" 1772 OB barely reach 200Hz before dropping. Baffle is about 50cm (20") and driver is off center.

They are most happy with a XO between 300 and 450Hz.

Your baffle is too narrow. ;) Try 32".

20 years ago, when I just started playing with fullrange drivers, the first fullranger system I put together comprised two 3" (FE83) Fostex drivers on cardboard baffles (no XO of course) plus a single subwoofer crossed in around 160Hz to provide bass. That's what got me hooked on the fullranger+OB sound. I have also tried the arrangement of two boards and stereo subs, with each board sitting on a sub, and it worked very well. The typical OB width I used with other fullrange drivers (e.g., FX200, FE206, etc., and even Tannoy 15" coaxials) back then was 32", with the driver offset according to the golden ratio.

All good points made about the driver spacing and Xover point.

In truth it is all an experiment for me, and one lacking measurement capabilities.

I use a pro Xover, and have played around some with Xover points from 100Hz to 500Hz. I settled early on for around 200Hz, but have since moved it around some.

Always open to the collective insights!

This is a very interesting thread. I am still running my W5-2143 in ported 12 liters enclosures (I initially built to test how deep I could get it). I love the sound of this speaker for the material I am listening to (mostly jazz). I lacked some in the lower end so I brought in two 8" subwoofers as a temporary solution. I was planning to put the W5 in a smaller sealed enclosure and use active xo to cross it to ... something. I am still looking for a suitable woofer. Biggest problem is WAF, I can not go too big. The speaker build is on a back burner while I am building a 4 channel poweramp and the active xo. I hope this thread comes up with some interesting ideas for the speaker build. Woofers I have considered are; Dayton Audio RS225P-8, Monacor SPH-220HQ, Peerless SLS 830667, SB Acoustics SB23MFCL45-8, SB Acoustics SB23NACS45-8, SB Acoustics SB23NACS45-8, SB Acoustics SB23NRXS45-8, SEAS H1288-08 CA22RNX, SEAS H1471-08 CA22RNY, Visaton AL200, Wavecor SW215WA02, Scan-Speak 26W/8534G00. Still stuck in simulation...

Ps. Super hesitant on xo frequency, played with everything between 400 and 120 Hz. Designing for 120 Hz but it feels kind of low. Looking forward to further findings and input...

Last edited:
Peerless SLS 830667 looks good for sealed boxes, cheap too, maybe two per side?
I really like the Seas CA22RNX and the Scan-Speak 26W/8534G00, they can be quite fun in a myriad of different designs. But most of the drivers you have chosen are somewhat similar to these.

The Peerless woofers are value for money, just stick two per side in sealed boxes, they are cheap, got good track records, and they have high xmax for the money. Surface displacement + xmax = bass.
Make nice slim "stands" for your W5-2143 boxes, 45 liters sealed with 2 drivers reaches xmax at 40hz/20 volts. No need for HP filters, unless you intend to frequently abuse them at above 20volts.

KaffiMan, I am playing with sealed boxes, around 4 liters for the W5 and 20 to 30 liters for the woofer. I would like to put them in the same enclosure if possible. I really like the look of Acoustics SB23NRXS45-8 and Wavecor SW215WA02 in simulation but as you said, they are all pretty similar. I am looking forward to others experiences, selection of woofers and xo points.

I still think double Peerless SLS 830667 in 45 liters closed is your best bet.
It can be difficult to get a BR box at 30 liters for the drivers you listed 100% optimal.

Have a look at your box dimensions and design goals, if you still have 30 liters then I'd probably go for a single SB23MFCL45-8 in a closed box.

Hello, my speakers finally arrived ,they are gorgeous :),it's time to enclosure ,but I still, I have not decided what type of enclosure to make. I saw very interest box ,you can see here COGのブログ:TangBand W5-2143 36L ZWBR
Looks massive,and I think will be worth ,but the problem is ,I can't understand the drawings. I write message to this man ,and I waiting answer . if I do not get an answer, may be I will make some bass reflex construction, around 15l. ,And after few months I will buy some sub's. What you think about this zwbr box ?
P.s Sorry for my English :)

I cannot read any of the writing, but from the pic it appears to be some kind of bandpass setup. A ported enclosure feeding another ported enclosure.

Not what I'd look to build, but an interesting idea. I have certainly seen car subs with that alignment.

I agree that the build quality of the W5 is quite good. Have fun!

I saw very interest box ,you can see here COGのブログ:TangBand W5-2143 36L ZWBR
Looks massive,and I think will be worth ,but the problem is ,I can't understand the drawings.

Here is the translation (by means of Google Translate) of the relevant part:

"
I tried to make a mahogany's grainy finish enclosure using the condition obtained from duct tuning of TangBand's 13 cm full range unit W5-2143 ZWBR 36 liter enclosure.

This enclosure is used as a speaker for evaluating small output amplifier of Audio Circle Machida off-party.

Outer dimensions are 552 mm X 240 mm X 413 mm (HWD), the structural material is 15 mm thick of MDF. The diaphragm is divided into a first chamber (18.2 L) and a second chamber (21.8 L) by an oblique partition plate. The bass reflex duct of the first chamber is called the first duct and the bass reflex duct of the second chamber is called the second duct. The conditions of duct and opening are 1st duct 56Φ 20 mm long, 2nd duct 30 × 174㎜ slit duct 100 mm long, opening area 3000 mm"

Have fun!

Kurt

Yes, I made the drawing and built it (xrk971 W5-2143). I did not like it, more info here. It somehow "muffled" the mid-range that I have come to love. I might have done something wrong but I don't think so (but I did not give it much time or tweaking because it was such a disappointment). I decided to move on and build something else. I am still in the process! ;)

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi guys, it is pretty much confirmed that the Karlsonator and possibly the XKi designs all sound better when built from compliant foam core or XPS foam with self damping abilities. There have been at least 5 documented cases where the builder was dissappointed with the result in wood or plywood but loved the sound when made of foam. It might have something to do with the re-radiation of sound that prevents the muffled sound syndrome. I have an XKi in foam core and it sounds great. I have not built one for 2143 in wood yet. However I had an XKi for a Beta 8cx that sounded great in foam core and when made out of wood, sounded boxy and reverberant unless a large amount of foam padding was added to the inside of the front chamber.

Good to know!

Hi guys, it is pretty much confirmed that the Karlsonator and possibly the XKi designs all sound better when built from compliant foam core or XPS foam with self damping abilities. There have been at least 5 documented cases where the builder was dissappointed with the result in wood or plywood but loved the sound when made of foam. It might have something to do with the re-radiation of sound that prevents the muffled sound syndrome. I have an XKi in foam core and it sounds great. I have not built one for 2143 in wood yet. However I had an XKi for a Beta 8cx that sounded great in foam core and when made out of wood, sounded boxy and reverberant unless a large amount of foam padding was added to the inside of the front chamber.

Thanks a million, this is great info, and saves me a lot of useless construction work.

Best, Dirk

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I have not made the effort myself yet but I would really like to try the W5-2143 in a Decware DNA enclosure. But this time I am going for a WAW arrangement...

I reverese engineered the DNA and Bcmbob made an XPS DNA out of it and it ran surprisingly deep. This was with the recommended low cost Aura driver.

Decware DNA Horn

It would probably work well with the 2143. At least the sim shows this.

622799d1498396177-decware-dna-horn-dna-4-w5-2143-freq.png