Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Suitability of Alpair 10M Gen 3 For Front Loaded Horn
Suitability of Alpair 10M Gen 3 For Front Loaded Horn
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th May 2018, 03:07 AM   #21
tapestryofsound is offline tapestryofsound  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVK View Post
That's my experience so far. I can get flattish 2 octave response using a horn and cone driver but if I want wider I need EQ to get it.

Have you measured the response of yours ?
No, I haven't, and not entirely sure whether I want to! What I have done (so far) is run the horn through a small mixer, listening to the source on headphones and EQ-ing the horn to match. Today, I am going to dial in a Boss GE-7 guitar EQ pedal to see if I can further open the sound. Lots of choices here.

tapestryofsound
Old 18th May 2018, 03:31 AM   #22
canibefrank is offline canibefrank  Colombia
diyAudio Member

mate that is a beautiful horn
Old 18th May 2018, 04:14 AM   #23
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapestryofsound View Post
A common piece of folkloric wisdom is that a front loaded horn can only handle three octaves.
Not folklore, it's true for any driver since in the higher octaves it's just a point source in a waveguide [WG] same as a compression driver and why you want a rising on axis response driver to blend with the lower horn loaded octaves to get that life-like 'big' sound whereas with the compression driver it requires mass quantities of EQ to be ~ flat out to ~ 20 kHz.

In the end, both wind up with similar useful efficiencies, though sound nothing alike.

Note though that while most drivers are limited to < 3 octaves there are some really wide BW drivers with 'monster' motors [< ~ 0.18 Qes] that can do up to ~ 3.5 octaves.

GM
Old 18th May 2018, 07:00 AM   #24
David McBean is offline David McBean  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
So, to answer your question, I believe the horn to be not so much 'acoustically dead' but alive and well
:-).
Old 18th May 2018, 11:17 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
Not folklore, it's true for any driver since in the higher octaves it's just a point source in a waveguide [WG] same as a compression driver and why you want a rising on axis response driver to blend with the lower horn loaded octaves to get that life-like 'big' sound whereas with the compression driver it requires mass quantities of EQ to be ~ flat out to ~ 20 kHz.

In the end, both wind up with similar useful efficiencies, though sound nothing alike.

GM
Thank you GM, for correcting me about this. There are times when it can be quite difficult to sort the wheat from the chaff, and I really do appreciate when I'm pointed in the right direction. Perhaps this is why I have obtained an overall better result by using a guitar speaker driver

tapestryofsound

Last edited by tapestryofsound; 18th May 2018 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Remembering something relevant
Old 18th May 2018, 02:42 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

You're welcome! FWIW, when I came to the audio BB's in late '96 the amount of [intentional] misunderstanding/misinformation re speaker [system] design in general and horn systems in particular was beyond defining and unfortunately most [all?] of it is still 'out there' to confuse and confound those who aren't 'practiced in the art', so when in doubt, search proven sources. The 'truth is out there'.

GM
Old 18th May 2018, 02:51 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
it has a Qts of 2.24 with a sound described as 'bass loose
While one can successfully horn load such a high Qt, it's not practical except for OB or its horn derivative, i.e. open back, so technically a BLH and tune its 'Qness' for best overall performance via 'gapping' it to the horn throat as Bruce Edgar did on one of his early mid bass? horns.

GM
Old 18th May 2018, 06:44 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You're welcome! The 'truth is out there'.

GM
I'm sure glad to hear that!

tapestryofsound
Old 18th May 2018, 06:52 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
While one can successfully horn load such a high Qt, it's not practical except for OB or its horn derivative, i.e. open back, so technically a BLH and tune its 'Qness' for best overall performance via 'gapping' it to the horn throat as Bruce Edgar did on one of his early mid bass? horns.

GM
Strangely enough, I've been thinking along the lines of an open baffle for my next build. Something like a tractrix at the front with an exponential at the back - all in one piece with the driver in between. And this time around, doing plenty of quick prototypes to get me into the zone ......

tapestryofsound
Old 18th May 2018, 09:42 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canibefrank View Post
mate that is a beautiful horn
It is very kind of you to say so.

I understand Colombia is famous for its lilies and orchids, and while working on my build in the depths of what was the hardest winter of a lifetime, I would often find myself comparing the horn, with its LeCleac'h curved mouth, to a summer lily. Something tells me that pollinating insects use the 3D internal echoes of their wing beats resonating from deep inside flowers to determine the quality and quantity of pollen to gather.

I think Colombia would be a very good place to build hornspeakers

tapestryofsound

Suitability of Alpair 10M Gen 3 For Front Loaded HornHide this!Advertise here!