Noobie Build Bluetooth Speaker. - Visaton Waterproof Driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all, im a noob building a simple portable Bluetooth speaker with full range driver: I have posted the Datasheet and TS parameters from (Visaton)

I was having trouble Finding the right Enclosure using online calculators (mixed results??) So I was hoping you could give me some help with selecting the right enclosure for this driver. There seems to be an art around matching the driver to the enclosure?? Im wanting to have a portable speaker I can take outside and brave the elements so thats why I chose waterproof speaker w/grille ect.. This is probably contradictory to everything but can the volume of the enclosure be kept minimal?

The second question is would the enclosure be different for using these drivers and a (single or pair) of passive radiators; im assuming this would help a bit with extra bass

TS - Parameters and link to driver - There is PDF with specs also

SL 87 ND - 8 Ohm | Visaton

RDC: 7.5 Ohm
Qm: 2.38
Qe: 0.91
Qt: 0.66
fs: 138 Hz
VAS: 1.24 l
mms: 2.1 g
cms: 0.63
rms: 0.77 kg/s

The Class-D amplifier Specs (2 x 8 watt) 12V dc Source - TSA3110B(Apt-X)

2 x 8 Watt Class D Bluetooth Audio Amplifier Board - TSA3110B(Apt-X)

Attachments

• 0900766b810a72dc.pdf
    459.9 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
I calculated with WinISD and looks to me that a bass reflex is the way to go (or passive radiator). For each driver you would need a box of 5 liters tuned to around 85hz. That can be done with a 5cm diameter tube which is 10cm long.

Hey Nenola thanks, I was hoping to get a volume that enables it to be portable; im probably creating more problems in asking for this??? I was thinking 3-4 litres for both drivers in a shared enclosure maximum???

We'll of course you can try it. In 4 litre box the simulations don't look promising, the frequency response starts to drop from 200hz and below, so not much bass in this one. And it doesn't matter is it sealed or bass reflex.

Attachments

• asd.jpg
    asd.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 95
We'll of course you can try it. In 4 litre box the simulations don't look promising, the frequency response starts to drop from 200hz and below, so not much bass in this one. And it doesn't matter is it sealed or bass reflex.

Hey Nenola, Wow ok now I see whats going on, thanks for that graph; yes it does roll of fast! Maybe I should look more carefully for driver selection with respect to a small box

Thanks so much for your help/time

I guess I should share a song heh

Brothertiger - High Tide

Last edited:
All those Bluetooth little portable speaker you can buy rely heavily on DSP to get some kind of bass in a minimal enclosure.

You could try to do the same by using an app on your phone that has EQ to send the music to yours.

As long as you keep your expectations reasonably low, you can go as small as you want, and use EQ to boost some low end around 100Hz.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.