Hawking Memorial Obelisk

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How about some of the blackbody polymer adhesive sheets? Very spooky looking stuff...a true blackbody...way beyond the "flat-black" look.

--------------------------------------------------------------Rick............

Attachments

• Spectral-Black-1.jpg
    Spectral-Black-1.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 417
The builder already has a pretty idea of type of material with which he’s comfortable, upon approval of samples, it’ll be designer’s choice of particular brand / finish.
There are solid colorcore plastic laminate products that would leave no tell-tell brown line of phenolic backer core on exposed edges, but I’m not sure of any with flat dull sheen or deep texture.

Colin - no doubt there are more than a few ways to get the effect of a full bullnose, but always a lazy bugger I’d want to use a half-round architectural moulding. The largest diameter that our local supplier is tooled up for is 4” - almost a full inch smaller then the 148mm net depth on the plans as I read them.
Besides, in the original spirit of commemoration to Stephen and Arthur, I’d be inclined to the slab -probably an easier build, to boot.

Of course, no doubt lotsa ways to achieve the look. I might rabbet in some 3mm or so solid for a small radius, just to reduce risk of damage to the vertical edges. Things do get moved around a lot casa Dlugos, and these puppies will be awkward -not as bad as some, but why not attempt to be pro-active.

Google does not quickly scare up any links. You have some?

I wonder about the availability of the size needed (and the cost).

dave
Vantablack paint is the commercial paintable version of this stuff.
There is quite a bit of controversy about the commercialization of it though. There are a few clones that are cheaper and more readily available. Vantablack - Wikipedia
Anyhow, it's blacker than black. True monolith, Disaster Area Hotblack Desiato Sundive Ship black.

Otherwise the best most practical solution from both an aesthetic and functional viewpoint would be to wrap the whole thing in two layers of fabric.

One layer of thin but dense black cloth, with a hole for the driver, and then on top a layer of standard black speaker grille cloth.

The bottom layer is to not have the cabinet cut and poke through the thin cover, and to keep it in place by friction.
Also it would provide a deeper black with none of the surface of the cab being directly visible through the thin cover.
And then the cover fabric, to give it that ultra matte, yet still sharply defined surface and edges, with no immediately apparent holes for drivers or ports

The fabric approach will also dispense with the need for, the concept and look spoiling, round over.
The two layers of fabric will have much the same effect on edge diffraction. In fact it will work better, from my experience with fabric clad speakers.

Last edited:
Vantablack paint is the commercial paintable version of this stuff.
There is quite a bit of controversy about the commercialization of it though. There are a few clones that are cheaper and more readily available. Vantablack - Wikipedia
Anyhow, it's blacker than black. True monolith, Disaster Area Hotblack Desiato Sundive Ship black.

Otherwise the best most practical solution from both an aesthetic and functional viewpoint would be to wrap the whole thing in two layers of fabric.

One layer of thin but dense black cloth, with a hole for the driver, and then on top a layer of standard black speaker grille cloth.

The bottom layer is to not have the cabinet cut and poke through the thin cover, and to keep it in place by friction.
Also it would provide a deeper black with none of the surface of the cab being directly visible through the thin cover.
And then the cover fabric, to give it that ultra matte, yet still sharply defined surface and edges, with no immediately apparent holes for drivers or ports

The fabric approach will also dispense with the need for, the concept and look spoiling, round over.
The two layers of fabric will have much the same effect on edge diffraction. In fact it will work better, from my experience with fabric clad speakers.

Vantablack needs a special treatment, this is why I recommended Black 2.0 which is a normal yet very black paint and it is more widely available.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.