Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hawking Memorial Obelisk
Hawking Memorial Obelisk
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th April 2018, 09:28 PM   #51
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Colin - no doubt there are more than a few ways to get the effect of a full bullnose, but always a lazy bugger I’d want to use a half-round architectural moulding. The largest diameter that our local supplier is tooled up for is 4” - almost a full inch smaller then the 148mm net depth on the plans as I read them.
Besides, in the original spirit of commemoration to Stephen and Arthur, I’d be inclined to the slab -probably an easier build, to boot.
Old 16th April 2018, 10:15 PM   #52
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Hawking Memorial Obelisk
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
The largest diameter that our local supplier is tooled up for is 4” - almost a full inch smaller then the 148mm net depth on the plans as I read them.
One could cut them in half an fill in the wxtra depth with a block.

dave
Old 16th April 2018, 10:41 PM   #53
talaerts is offline talaerts  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Add a “k” to the URL.

MAXiBLACK coating - Highest absorptance with small thickness - Acktar black coatings

maximum 20 cm wide… that would mean seams.

dave

The paint “Black 2.0” is of interest.
Old 16th April 2018, 10:50 PM   #54
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Of course, no doubt lotsa ways to achieve the look. I might rabbet in some 3mm or so solid for a small radius, just to reduce risk of damage to the vertical edges. Things do get moved around a lot casa Dlugos, and these puppies will be awkward -not as bad as some, but why not attempt to be pro-active.
Old 17th April 2018, 10:26 AM   #55
Colin is offline Colin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I think Peter Daniel achieved a wide diameter roundover in one of his speakers by bonding half a sonotube to the side of the cabinet. There was a pic on the Audiosector thread many years ago.
Old 17th April 2018, 10:55 AM   #56
Squeak is offline Squeak  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Google does not quickly scare up any links. You have some?

I wonder about the availability of the size needed (and the cost).

dave
Vantablack paint is the commercial paintable version of this stuff.
There is quite a bit of controversy about the commercialization of it though. There are a few clones that are cheaper and more readily available. Vantablack - Wikipedia
Anyhow, it's blacker than black. True monolith, Disaster Area Hotblack Desiato Sundive Ship black.

Otherwise the best most practical solution from both an aesthetic and functional viewpoint would be to wrap the whole thing in two layers of fabric.

One layer of thin but dense black cloth, with a hole for the driver, and then on top a layer of standard black speaker grille cloth.

The bottom layer is to not have the cabinet cut and poke through the thin cover, and to keep it in place by friction.
Also it would provide a deeper black with none of the surface of the cab being directly visible through the thin cover.
And then the cover fabric, to give it that ultra matte, yet still sharply defined surface and edges, with no immediately apparent holes for drivers or ports

The fabric approach will also dispense with the need for, the concept and look spoiling, round over.
The two layers of fabric will have much the same effect on edge diffraction. In fact it will work better, from my experience with fabric clad speakers.

Last edited by Squeak; 17th April 2018 at 11:12 AM.
Old 17th April 2018, 01:04 PM   #57
phivates is offline phivates  United States
diyAudio Member

DCM Time Window approach with the two layers, as well as a tall wide and shallow configuration. I think my Philco (Matsu) 6.5's have found a new home in these freebies.
Old 17th April 2018, 01:49 PM   #58
talaerts is offline talaerts  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
Vantablack paint is the commercial paintable version of this stuff.
There is quite a bit of controversy about the commercialization of it though. There are a few clones that are cheaper and more readily available. Vantablack - Wikipedia
Anyhow, it's blacker than black. True monolith, Disaster Area Hotblack Desiato Sundive Ship black.

Otherwise the best most practical solution from both an aesthetic and functional viewpoint would be to wrap the whole thing in two layers of fabric.

One layer of thin but dense black cloth, with a hole for the driver, and then on top a layer of standard black speaker grille cloth.

The bottom layer is to not have the cabinet cut and poke through the thin cover, and to keep it in place by friction.
Also it would provide a deeper black with none of the surface of the cab being directly visible through the thin cover.
And then the cover fabric, to give it that ultra matte, yet still sharply defined surface and edges, with no immediately apparent holes for drivers or ports

The fabric approach will also dispense with the need for, the concept and look spoiling, round over.
The two layers of fabric will have much the same effect on edge diffraction. In fact it will work better, from my experience with fabric clad speakers.

Vantablack needs a special treatment, this is why I recommended Black 2.0 which is a normal yet very black paint and it is more widely available.
Old 22nd May 2018, 05:22 PM   #59
Colin is offline Colin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

After mentioning this design in our latest newsletter, we've had several enquiries about the Hawking speaker and there is at least one build in progress. I'll update as soon as we receive reports or pics.
Old 22nd May 2018, 06:29 PM   #60
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

We're still waiting for the drivers from Solen.

Colin - thanks for the drawings.

Hawking Memorial ObeliskHide this!Advertise here!