automotive 8" - what's good ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Crunch's CRSS8 "Screamer" for less than $30 each was a good and pretty smooth 8"/ 8 ohm wideband, (although with high fs limiting application) Its been discontinued. I suspect there could be other good speakers of this type but can go bad like one Boss $20 10" whose "chrome" plastic decorative coil former termination seems to cause very erratic response.

I'd say the Crunch in its range was about as good as the ferrite Nirvana and didn't have the suspension stiffening issues of those. It ran to ~9KHz.

WRDJCWX.jpg

Crunch label is put on a standard Chinese pro midrange, I think it was something like SPM80 or so. But it may be good as you say. I`m not sure how many automotive car drivers you`d find of this size, 8" is a bit unusual. And if its a midwoofer, it will be too deep for most doors, so has to be something on a shallow chassis, a midrange or a fullrange and some of these are made with low Qts for horn loading...Complicated waters :)

I think 6.5" is very sufficient in a car. The bigger you go, the more trouble with rattling doors, to me BMW and Mercedes` approach of fitting a smaller 4" high in the door is a better solution. Just my 2c.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.