Noob question re: driver orientation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have just purchased a pair of ff85wk drivers and I was wondering about orienting the bezels not square but like a diamond with the points or screw holes north south east and west. I feel like this is a stupid question but will that be an issue?

P.s. I've been lurking here for a long time and I have to say thank you to everyone for sharing your wealth of knowledge.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Yes, the dustcap ridge is intended to be vertical.

uFonkenSET-yew-comp.jpg

dave

Perhaps the ridge is also there to push the dust cap resonance to higher frequencies. Who knows if it makes an audible difference. I've listened to ff85wk at my office desk (~1 meter to my ears) for a few years now, both orientations, and I can't hear a difference in radiation pattern / dispersion. BTW, this is a great driver for an office setup.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The ridge has a decided effect on the dustcap resonance. The caps on the old FFxx5 series (& F120A/FX120) had some issues that are not in the new caps. This tech was 1st developed for a couple of the special edition drivers (one of which turned out to be a reasl dog (FE138)). There is a small bit of ringing left, a special pattern of dots on the cap mostly kill those.

dave

Not know about dustcap ridge orientation - nothing about it in the bumph that came with the drivers - I oriented mine with two screws vertical, two horizontal so will need now to fix that. Though doesn't sound like there will be too much of a difference really, as per Astrojet's experience.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.