Breaking in Alpair 7.3's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So tomorrow my mark audio drivers arrive. Of course I've read on the site that they should be gently run in for 100 hrs+

I dont have the cabinets finished yet. Is it acceptable to sit these bare drivers on a shelf in my workshop with a small amp and run some gentle tunes thru them at low volume until the cabinets are finished? Heck it might well be a month. Does that count as breaking them in?

Also, honest question, why do speaker manufacturers not break them in before selling them? Surely you want your product to perform at its best when it arrives with buyer?

ahh, oh gawd the power of the internet, i saw the thread here raising money for your care in the "latest activity" section and just blindly assumed that it was this year! in fact it occured before our first communication.

in any case im very glad that the worst is in the past and you are making good progress!!

ahhaha im quite embarrassed.

I just hooked mine up to my amp, set them down on the table and let them play radio music at a very low volume for the first five days after I got them. I probably still don't have 200 hours on them yet. They are in bookshelf cabinets now and sounding pretty darn good to me so far. :^)

Robin, dont know about in series v in parallel. But when I ran in my A7.3s and Pluvia 7s I ran them propped up in the box at low vol for a couple of weeks in the cellar on Radio 3, and could hear them improve each time I checked them. Then when I finished the build and played my repetoir of old farts classic rock i was really surprised after another couple of weeks when they really came on song. You're in for a treat squire!

well i connected them up for the first time, sitting in their original boxes with the tops open, connected in series..

i must say, despite obviously having no LF in their naked state, i noticed something immediately. i cant hear any sound coming from the speakers! its floating in the space between them.

when testing my amp during construction, i used some car drivers, in a similar position on my desk, similarly without enclosures, and the sound definitely came from the drivers.

what is it about these that gives this quite startling difference? will i get the same effect when they are enclosed and placed 3.5m apart? i do hope so :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.