question for anyone who have line array speaker?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i want have plan to build this type
i just want to know that whether this is the clean way for me
the question to you :
1. whether it is best speaker for you after compare to many different speaker and different style/method? (if answer is not, then why?)
2. how much you satisfied with your speaker (0-100 score)?
3. if you not satisfied enough, what area that have (-) thing in this type of speaker that make you feel ill?
please if you don't have this type of speaker, don't reply
thank you for any answer and i hope everyone answer this with honestly

So many variables... Your expectations will surely be different than others. Your taste in sound and music will surely be different than others.

What kind of line array will you build? Floor to ceiling with at least 25 drivers each (best), or a shorter line (not the best)?

And above all, you will need to EQ them heavily, so if you are the kind of person who likes the "pure sound" approach then stay away from line arrays.

And above all, you will need to EQ them heavily, so if you are the kind of person who likes the "pure sound" approach then stay away from line arrays.
I think Perceval mean "pure sound" as in unaltered (No EQ) sound.
Line array need EQ to lift the attenuated freq.band that is inherently present with this type of arrangement.
I have line array, DIY, since 2015.
1 - It is the most fun speaker I have ever had
2 - 85 (since it was my first, and cheap, build. It can be improved
3 - The bass is wonderfull, unstrained but not like 15-18" subs. Fast, exact and audibly looooow. Could easily be paired with subs which will allow the arrays to play a ridiclous high SPL-level...

Do it! :)

Here we go again :). What is this "best" you refer to? I don't think there is such a thing as best. It can always be improved upon.

1) It is the most exiting and versatile speaker I have ever had. There are lots of configurations I didn't or couldn't try. By far the best sound I've had in my room.
To sum it up in one word: coherent.

2) I started at 80, I think I was able to go to 90, there's always room for improvement.

3) No real negatives. Though in all honesty I've heard both good and bad sound in my experiments. I don't blame the speaker configuration if something sounds bad. I blame my ignorance not being able to know a little better what I want. But at a 90 score, there isn't that much wrong anyway.

It does all genre's I throw at it justice. Playing with direct/indirect sound levels can make particular genre's sound better.

Best reason for me to go with this concept: space considerations while having the ability to have the speakers work with the room. It is definitely a better performer than I expected it to be.

Box coloration does not have to play a role with sealed speakers. Do your homework. ;)

First your questions:

1. If you want to list to music as it is in its own environment, and think you are there, then its the best. Piano will make you believe the grand piano is in the room with you. Organ will make you feel like you are in the church. Jazz will let you know how far apart the instruments are, and give you a sense of spaciousness you would only get in a live performance. The sound stage will be like a real performance. If that’s what you want, then only a line array will give it to you, and if you get rid of passive crossovers, it will be even more astounding.

2. 100....nothing else I ever heard was like it. Going back to small speakers was like sitting at the end of a football field to listen to a performance in the end zone 100 yards away.

3. People who are not satisfied, either want to listen to miniature sound, or they didn’t follow the requirements of making a line array: spending lots of money, and taking 50 hours to build it.

How much money do you want to spend? Are you willing to go to active crossovers? Are you willing to make special provisions to ensure the accuracy of your midrange speakers? Will it be a one way, a two way, a three way, or a four way?

Are you willing to follow Jim Griffin’s original line array paper. Jim has recanted on the comb filter distortion saying now that you can’t hear it, but I’m convinced that he cannot hear it because, like me, he is old(as is the other two engineers who claim this: Roger Russel and Don B. Keele), but younger people say it causes lack of air. You cannot equalize comb filter distortion away.

And to be a real line array, the line must couple with the ceiling and the floor by having at least the mid line 70% length 70% of the distance from floor to ceiling. Otherwise it will not be a line array. Active crossovers will save you from needing to limit yourself to a 2 way or no way because the passive having to handle a massive amount of power, and having all the disadvantages of a passive line array.

These are basic questions that you need to answer before we can even go further.

Your questions are really not connected to actually building one of these systems.

Last edited:
How much money do you want to spend? Are you willing to go to active crossovers? Are you willing to make special provisions to ensure the accuracy of your midrange speakers? Will it be a one way, a two way, a three way, or a four way?

These are basic questions that you need to answer before we can even go further.

Your questions are impossible to answer unless you qualify this a bit.

@wesayso
how you did to go from 80 to 90 ?
and then you mostly listening to this speaker everyday ?

All you need to know is written down in one huge thread: The making of: The Two Towers (a 25 driver Full Range line array)

Another eye opener can be reading this thread to figure out why it works as well as it does: Infinite Line Source: analysis

No crossovers in my example, all full range but not quite standard and it can't really be compared to Roger Russel's IDS anymore.

@Zarathu2, could you please show us your in-room result, as taken at the listening position in a wavelet. I'd love to see it.

You can use APL_TDA:
TDA_3D.jpg

or REW with these numbers:
newspectogram.jpg

That should show us the hand-over in the multi-way array of yours.
An early waterfall plot would be fun to see too. Just curious :)

Last edited:
@Zarathu2, could you please show us your in-room result, as taken at the listening position in a wavelet. I'd love to see it.

So would I. You know dang well that I don’t have the measurement equipment. I build for my own ear. Which while limited in high frequencies, my ears are good enough to play the violin.

(Management has consolidated my Zarathu and Zarathu2 accounts to just Zarathu)

I will never buy a horn PA again. For all those purposes the line array simply rocks. I still like giant horn speakers for HiFi but impractical. Therefore I think the line arrays now win in all categories. And will only improve as the drivers and DSP gets better and better.

Serial not parallel, it was a error.

Indeed. But why do wish to avoid wiring in series-parallel? It's not difficult, and there are no more problems associated with it than wiring the same number of drivers (assuming the impedance allowed it) in series or parallel only. It can also give you options that might not otherwise be available.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.