Monacor SPH-60X / CT193 Cheap Trick 193

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I've been looking for another cheap but impressive project after playing with some Alpairs. I found this project from Klang & Tong that looks really interesting using a cheap driver here in Europe.

CT 193 – die (fast) vergessene Legende – Lautsprecher selber bauen

From what I can make out this is an updated design accounting for the drivers updated TSP. The problem I have is that I can't read German and don't know what the BSC components are or what the circuit is achieving, all I know is that it is either a band or notch filter. Does anyone know? I can achieve this with MiniDSP. Passive components ratings would be great as I've never made a passive crossover.

Also, is this a bass reflex design? It looks like a hybrid of an MLTL and BR.

Let me know if you can shed any light!

Last edited:
Thanks yes I tried that. The company doing the CT193 'Reload' does not specify component values for obvious reasons. My wonder is the difference between the driver when it was first designed and its new TS parameters with the modern incarnation.

Also, I cannot find any info on the original K&T article how the BSC is altering the FR. It is obviously a notch filter, well, I mean, I assume it is. I can replicate this with MiniDSP but I am not sure of the values!

Not sure if the translation makes sense but....
Google Translate
HTH

J.

hello.
this is a box for the new version of the sph-60x.

this port makes less noise in this config.,
a common port (as often used) would be very small
- or too big to fit into the box .........

the 3 parts filter flattens the +5dB bump at 1500 Hz.......should be no great problem with a dsp .........

Thank you for this revelation! I'm more confident to proceed now.

hello.
this is a box for the new version of the sph-60x.

this port makes less noise in this config.,
a common port (as often used) would be very small
- or too big to fit into the box .........

the 3 parts filter flattens the +5dB bump at 1500 Hz.......should be no great problem with a dsp .........

Monacor SPH-60X / CT193 Cheap Trick 193

Do you happen to know how they work?

Depends on who you ask...... :irked:

Regardless, a typical pipe/duct vent is an open pipe [1/2 WL] resonator and historically a typical 'horn' vent was an 1/8 WL parabolic horn, though for illustrative purposes we can use the near identical closed cone [conical 1/2 WL] pipe that would inaudibly measure a tiny bit different: Resonances of open air columns

Since Hornresp uses 344 m/sec SoS, input this and however long you want in either of the pipe charts, then click anywhere on the page and it will calculate each pipe's harmonics, which will be same frequency wise for these two and go to each one to see their structure.

You will have to use Hornresp or similar to sim the two types to see how their harmonic structures impact a speaker's response.

In short, the pipe provides the smoothest overall response and the horn has more peak output spread unevenly over a wider BW similar to a very large, long pipe vent, i.e. in the frequency response overlay, notice the deep notch and additional 'ripple' in the horn vent's response [blue trace] that wouldn't be there with a pipe vent Vs sealed [red trace]: CT 193 – die (fast) vergessene Legende – Lautsprecher selber bauen

Not represented is that the horn vent will have a bit greater acoustic efficiency [power handling] down low, so the CT194's dual vent design would be my preference, though for modest/near-field playback levels it may not be worth the extra size, build complexity.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.