CHR70 overexaggerated mid tones?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Acousta-stuff and Europe, not a good combination (my internet searches and other threads confirm this). Are there any europe based members who know how to get it, or know what would be suitable substitude?

Richard67,

Dacron poly fiber fill for pillows/cushions should also work. You can check the local department stores for those. Take a look at the label for material type as not all the poly-fill are the same.

Try to find Basf acoustic foam... otherwise known in supermarkets as "Magic eraser sponges" or melamine sponge.

It's white, easy to cut, and will come in different sizes, depending where you buy. Online buying in bulk is even cheaper.

Please don't. I did not design the pensils to use acoustic foam of this kind. That is OK for boxes designed to be lagged or similar. However, the pensils are approaching a maximally flat impedance TL alignment and were very specifically designed to be stuffed (dacron hollow-fibre being the default material assumed) to achieve that, and to allow the end-user some tuning flexibility by adjusting the packing density. You can't do that with acoustic foam, and the box will no longer work properly.

However, the pensils are approaching a maximally flat impedance TL alignment and were very specifically designed to be stuffed (dacron hollow-fibre being the default material assumed) to achieve that.

Thank you for explaining Scott, so the attached pic shows the correct product?

720x2000x0_dacron-bolletjes-0.jpg

I'm a bit thrown of by the description "Dacron bolletjes" what basically translates to "Dacron spheres".

Assuming that this is the correct product, are the damping characteristics approximately simular as acousta stuff, so I put about 400 grams (or a bit less) in each cabinet?

Last edited:
Neither of these last 2 are very good for damping a TL.
In general, glass wool is the best for a TL.
Some TL loudspeakers (enclosures) are designed for a specific material, although Augspurger showed that with other materials, but with different density, results are close enough. Because OP build Pensils, he should stick to the material chosen by the designer.

So, I skinned the pillow [emoji1] and put about 300 grams filling in the cabinet that had no filling since yesterday. Here's how it looks :

_20180318_183659.jpg

Did some testing and I'm starting to feel happy, it sounds better than the one with the "old" filling [emoji847].

I'm now searching the house for another pillow [emoji16].

Still not teased as much as i’d like to see… it takes a long time.

You need to make sure the 2nd pillow has the same fill, or blend th e2 and put half of each pillow in each speaker.

dave

I for sure takes al lot of time, I wil give it another try when I start working on the second pillow, since I have to mix them up anyway. That advice makes a lot of sense, never would have thought of it myself though! There's a lot of good advice going around here [emoji1303].

I took another pillow and teased the filling as much as I could, on the picture a basket with about 300 grams of filling. I also took the pillow stuffing out of the the speaker I did before and teased it a lot more. I mixed the filling from both pillows and put it in the cabinets once again. Not an easy job with the brace in there..... The pensils sound way better now and I think for even better sound I have to focus on the amp now. It was a tubeamp-kit and the capacitors in the audio signal paths are plane capacitors. Gonna see what happens if I put more "audiophile" capacitors in there. For now, thanks for al the usefull help and suggestions!!!

DSC_0562.jpg

Last edited:
Thank for the quick reply [emoji1303]. I think that should be to first step to go then. Any advice on what felt would work best?

Thanks for the reply Cal. I'm an ignorant newby and probably stubborn also[emoji6], but in my opinion a speaker should sound good without any tone adjustments (And again that's my opinion).

EQ'ng isn't always about the speaker as it may be about the room. And throughout this entire thread, I did not see any mention of the room or it's constructs/furnishings. The room could be a midrange maker for all we know.

A while ago a build the pensil R70.3 with the CHR-70. Allthough they don't sound bad the mid-tones sound overexaggerated. Nice high's, plenty low (keeping speakersize and prize in mind), the midtone seem louder loud en drown out highs and bas. It's like a wall of sound and after a while it gets tiresome. I think I do not meet the full run-in time, but i don't think it will make such a big difference. I put about the required amount of stuffing in the upperpart behind the speakers. This was my first speaker build and my knowledge of accoustic adjustment with stuffing is very little. So i'm wondering if the mid-tones can be damped with for example lining the upper part of the cabinet with felt. Any other comments are welcome of course :D
I'm planning to build the Frugel-Horn in the future, can i expect a roughly simular soundstage from the Alpair 10? Mayby it's just not my taste.....
Please note there is no rule for stuffing, there is no right or wrong stuffing, since the inside stuffing modify every details of the sound all the time.

The Frugal Horn have the great benefit of emitt sound to front and back(dipole) mading a better soundstage (3D), not 2D as regular monopole speakers.

See this topic for aditional info:
How Treat Passively Peaky Fullrange Drivers

Last edited:
EQ'ng isn't always about the speaker as it may be about the room. And throughout this entire thread, I did not see any mention of the room or it's constructs/furnishings. The room could be a midrange maker for all we know.
That's true, the pensils are in the bedroom now. Beside the bed and the roller blind, other surfaces are flat and hard. Not ideal and maybe contributing to the strong midtones. The pensils will move to another room we are still redecorating at the moment. Don't know what that room does to the sound, it has a (double) pitched roof instead of the square room the bedroom is.

Please note there is no rule for stuffing, there is no right or wrong stuffing, since the inside stuffing modify every details of the sound all the time.

The Frugal Horn have the great benefit of emitt sound to front and back(dipole) mading a better soundstage (3D), not 2D as regular monopole speakers.

See this topic for aditional info:
How Treat Passively Peaky Fullrange Drivers
Interesting read, thank you! [emoji1303]

Before you blow the budget on boutique caps, tell us what it is, and what's in it now.

jeff
What's used now are normal MKP and film capacitors. I'm thinking to replace them with Jantzen Audio capacitors, for example:

Superior Z-Cap - Jantzen-audio.com

Not extremely exotic and it will set me back for about €45, something I can live with. For myself, I see it as a field test to see if more expensive components can make a noticeable difference in sound.

Price wise, it's almost half the price of the complete amp-kit (without housing), so you would think it's noticeable.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.