Some questions for my first 4 inch

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
This particular driver has a relatively high Q. It is not suited to a reflex box. It wants to be in an open or infinite baffle ideally. If you want to do a box, it should be as large as you can live with. I’d recommend a minimum of 5 litres. At that volume the Q is ~1 (ie a bit underdamped), with F6 80 Hz, F10 just above 60 Hz.

You could also make it aperiodic which wouldn’t hurt, bringing the box Q down.

dave

Thank you maybe you can help me better:
The internal dimensions of the box I am already preparing are: 31x14x20 cm. The net volume of 8,68 liters. Ca you check if should the diameter of the vent be smaller (2,5cm) and length be about 3 cm?
What would be the frequencies?
What would be the diameter and the length of the port?

This particular driver has a relatively high Q. It is not suited to a reflex box. It wants to be in an open or infinite baffle ideally. If you want to do a box, it should be as large as you can live with. I’d recommend a minimum of 5 litres. At that volume the Q is ~1 (ie a bit underdamped), with F6 80 Hz, F10 just above 60 Hz.

You could also make it aperiodic which wouldn’t hurt, bringing the box Q down.

dave

Yes thank you
I am preparing enclosures of 8.6 liters for one driver.
I have not decided yet if vented or sealed.
I would need to understand for the diameter of the port and the length.
I would prefer a flat line and not peak in low frequencies.
If sealed then would need some damping material but if vented I am not sure..?

I did some testing before ordering the final wood and plywood to hear the sound with 2 larger enclosures. One enclosure with 2 drivers in parallel and one with one driver as on the pictures below. The sound was more bass when vented at the bottom front of the box and with just little dumping material behind the driver.

Attachments

• 20180412_191411 - Copy.jpg
    20180412_191411 - Copy.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 295
  • 20180421_201113 - Copy.jpg
    20180421_201113 - Copy.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 262
Hi again
I do have 2 pairs of those Faital pro 4FE35 (8Ω)

I am using one pair in sealed boxes of 8.68lit. and the sound is ok but I would like to add a woofer because I consider low in low frequencies.
which one would you recommend and at which frequency should I cut and separate the 2?
I think I should use a 6 or 8"woofer
Thank you

Hi,

i bought a pair of FaitalPro 4FE35-8 for my first project, unfortunately i found out too late enclosure plans for these speakers are not available like for many others.

This thread is the only useful source i was able to find. Thank you guys for the previous pages info's.

Any updates?

I agree with Planet10, this is a driver to be used in a sealed enclosure. A ported gives a nasty frequency plot due to the high qts.

A 6 to 25L (depending on how low it has to go) is right. Yours will have little bass in a 6.8L box, but if you put it against a wall, you can have a good response until 65 a 70Hz, wich is normal for a bookshelf. Add a sub and you can have a good system that goes low also.

Yes I agree with both of you. Need too big enclosure, I've tested it. The tabaq and a Karlsonator.
What do you mean against the wall? It would be vented behind and the back against the wall?

Vented is not a good idea with this driver. The qts is way to high for that. This is a driver for a sealed box. And if you put it against a wall, the bass is stronger due to roomgain

You put the speaker with the back to the wall, so the wall amplifies the low end due to the size and form of the room (aka roomgain).

When you put a speaker against the wall or in a corner, the bass frequencies are amplified way more because bass below 80hz or so is omnidirectional and is not only radiated to the front of the speaker like the higher frequencies (who are more in a cardiod form radiated) and so reflect harder from that wall. The second factor is the resonance frequency (and the wide region arround it) of a room wich can get an amplification of 12dB or so.

You should study the effect of roomgain, it's an important factor in using speakers in a closed space. And also the main reason why speakers sound different in open air than in a closed room or hall and why music studio's spend big money to get rid of it with acoustic treatment:

room gain?

Ah yes I am doing this with larger speakers.
I did try several options as mentioned in the past I believe the best solution for this speaker to get some bass tones is a TABAQ enclosure which aesthetically I didn't want to do.

By the way one think that I noticed is that when I remove all the dumping material from inside and puting a piece of wood inside bellow the driver with some open space and I open the back bottom of the enclosure for about 2cm I get some better bass sound but I did not make any measurements. This driver is very good for mid-high.

I was thinking to ad a 6" woofer in a separate enclosure and cross it so it works an OB.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.