Help me design a Bose F1 type system.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hm.
I don`t see the quadcore dsp.

I don't think they'll be a need for anything more than the DSP a pro 2 channel amp can deliver. My thoughts put an XO range somewhere in the 250-400hz range. The fullrange drivers will be in very small sealed enclosures so I'm expecting a steep natural rolloff there.....maybe even a qts peak that a little peQ should be able to handle. The Deltalite 12 has a very smooth response up to 800hz so no need for a steep LP that I can anticipate......I'll use it with a bit of overlapp to offset the baffle step loses of the fullrange units.

My primary tuning goal will be in the 800hz to 6khz looking for ruler flat response and minimal distortion products and 90 degree coverage in that range. That'll be the tough chore as those 3.5" drivers tend to start beaming around 4K. The waveguides use will be the key here. I have quite a bit of composite urethane foam sheets here i think will be ideal here with very light weight, extremely low resonance yet quite rigid. They're easily toolable to boot. I've worked with this stuff extensively in modern boat construction.

I don't think they'll be a need for anything more than the DSP a pro 2 channel amp can deliver. My thoughts put an XO range somewhere in the 250-400hz range. The fullrange drivers will be in very small sealed enclosures so I'm expecting a steep natural rolloff there.....maybe even a qts peak that a little peQ should be able to handle. The Deltalite 12 has a very smooth response up to 800hz so no need for a steep LP that I can anticipate......I'll use it with a bit of overlapp to offset the baffle step loses of the fullrange units.

My primary tuning goal will be in the 800hz to 6khz looking for ruler flat response and minimal distortion products and 90 degree coverage in that range. That'll be the tough chore as those 3.5" drivers tend to start beaming around 4K. The waveguides use will be the key here. I have quite a bit of composite urethane foam sheets here i think will be ideal here with very light weight, extremely low resonance yet quite rigid. They're easily toolable to boot. I've worked with this stuff extensively in modern boat construction.

Seriously I don`t see the point.
I doubt this will work halfway decent without a ton of processing.
All that expenditure, for what?

And for each position of your array you will need to use different eq settings to achieve a flat response and if you want to make it right you will need to adjust phase and delay also (for each position).
It just doesn`t make any sense (to me).

Again,
for $82 you can get the Fane Sovereign 12-250TC which will do 80Hz-18kHz in around 40L closed and sound superb doing it.
If you build a clever enclosure you will have 90° degree coverage and won`t even need any eq.

Seriously I don`t see the point.
I doubt this will work halfway decent without a ton of processing.
All that expenditure, for what?

And for each position of your array you will need to use different eq settings to achieve a flat response and if you want to make it right you will need to adjust phase and delay also (for each position).
It just doesn`t make any sense (to me).

Again,
for $82 you can get the Fane Sovereign 12-250TC which will do 80Hz-18kHz in around 40L closed and sound superb doing it.
If you build a clever enclosure you will have 90° degree coverage and won`t even need any eq.

OK. I thought i was clear that i would NOT be making the fullrange driver array adjustable for different coverage patterns like the F1 but would simply just adjust the overall system height when required

OK. I thought i was clear that i would NOT be making the fullrange driver array adjustable for different coverage patterns like the F1 but would simply just adjust the overall system height when required

OK. Missed that one it seems.

^What ICG said. Just height won`t suffice.

You will still have issues like possible comb filtering from the frs and distortion from the back driver due to reflections, ...

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
This isn't for a fixed installation so floor and ceiling reflections are by design, variables.....and not an adjustable option on the BOSE design so i'm not concerned.

Well, to make the upper and lower FRs 'tilt-able' is pretty easy. Build 3 separate compartments, with slanted walls where they face each other to give them space for the tilt. Where they meet at the front, use piano hinges and for both tilting positions plunder mommys kitchen :D (or go to a hardware store) and use the magnet 'locks' (don't know how they are called in English, sry) often used on the kitchen cabinet doors to keep them in the two possible angles.

That would look like this: (Imagine the box facing downwards.)

Code:
   ___  __  ___
  |___\/__\/___|

Whether one is generally a fan of the company or not, there may indeed be more to this pair of products than meets a cursory scan. As noted earlier, I was intrigued enough to read of the user's manual, which details its flexibility and I thought very ergonomic design for a portable PA system.

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
I've investigated a bit further. The drivers they are using are suspiciously similar to the Peerless TC7FD00-04 (PDF). They might be close or even identical, they sure look exactly the same.

In any case, you'll need to EQ them. I think it would be a good combo with the Sure Electronics DSP. You'd need an additional power supply and a programming board but that would be by far the cheapest and easiest way to re-build a kinda clone and that way you'd have a possibility to EQ them and cross them over wether you'd integrate the amps into the enclosure or not.

I think it's important to remember that I'm not looking for a precise stereo imaging from this system so there's some leeway from some of the design criteria that home based line sources for critical music listening must adhere to. We've already discovered that these smaller fullrange drivers are VERY listenable and enjoyable as single unit point source systems and even more so when reinforced with a sub.....so that's half the battle right there. Using multiples will yield a pretty smooth FR with mimimal Distortion.......lower than a single CD and horn could ever hope. The array can cross lower, helping with a more uniform directivity over similar two way applications. There will be some combing, but in such large spaces with very diffuse settings and movement, i wouldn't give it any more concern than the theoretical.

What if Bose turned out to be just another company that's moved on from their past? They got SpeakerDave to go to work there. It's 2018, people.

From what I heard from the F1, they just may have turned a corner in the R&D department.....but people were praising the stick on a box array for years so maybe the PA division has more talent?......can't say as I've never heard the stick system. I have heard the JBL stick and ummm......not very good.

ICG - it might be a bit presumptuous to assume that it's any particular driver being used here - Peerless or otherwise. If nothing else, Bose has large enough production that they could well have custom OEM drivers specified with different parameters than those normally available off the shelf to DIY-ers. That's only one part of the puzzle that is involved in trying to both reverse engineer a system like this, and "dumb -down" any of its features deemed unnecessary.

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
ICG - it might be a bit presumptuous to assume that it's any particular driver being used here - Peerless or otherwise.

I just wanted to point out the F1 got all just stamped sheet metal basket drivers and you can get similar ones very cheap. It doesn't really matter if it's the same or a different driver. Besides that, it's not unusual manufacturers buying ready made baskets, magnets, surrounds or complete cones. And if they see drivers fit for the project then they often buy such things because that comes a lot cheaper than to re-build the same, build the tools and start production in the own facilities.

That's only one part of the puzzle that is involved in trying to both reverse engineer a system like this, and "dumb -down" any of its features deemed unnecessary.

The dumb-down shows there isn't any 'magic' in it and you actually can build one (similar) yourself.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.