Compilation of Alpair 10.3 designs

Hi there,

I'm looking at building a medium sized pair of full range speakers - up to some of the smaller floorstanding enclosures. After spending some time reading up on the current full range drivers that are available I was tossing up between the Eikona 2s, but I've decided to go with the Alpair 10.3s. I need to spend more money on my room before it's worth more money on the drivers.

I've been searching around for designs for the Alpair 10.3s, so I thought I'd compile a list for anyone else that stops by. Feel free to contribute any that I've missed.

Free
Pensils
MLTL (mass loaded transmission line)
Bass Reflex
Golden Ratio
Golden ratio bass reflex box
Slim bass reflex box
Eric Hartmann's Bookshelf Box
Mar-Ken
Frugel-Horn XL
Scott's Free Simple Reflex Box
HM's KANGLING
HM's DH Satellit
HM's POSAUNE

Paid
Silbury
Planet10 (email Dave - contact info here)

Finally I really liked the VTL cabinet that EJJordan have for the Eikona - it seems to have great performance and the shallow depth makes it much less obtrusive than other floor standing speakers of a similar performance. What's the etiquette in the DIY community to applying this plan to a driver from a different manufacturer, and has anyone looked at what changes would be required to tune it for the Alpair drivers?

Thanks

Last edited:
Note that Erich Hartmann's box was designed for the 2nd generation Alpair 10, not the current 3rd generation unit, which has somewhat different requirements.

Re other enclosures e.g. the VTL, it is not a good idea to try using them with a driver they were not designed for. Personally I don't care for the VTL from a technical POV, although it's popular with the intended drivers. I just find I can get what I consider (note the caveat -this is personal opinion) to be superior results from other enclosure configurations, assuming I have the design freedom to do so.

Dave & I completed a wider baffle 10.3 design called Poplar a few weeks back; not sure if any have been built yet; it comes at a small charge (I think) so I don't recommend it as a matter of principle, merely note the fact that it exists. I think I did a Voigt style ML horn a while back too; will try to dig it out. I've a few dozen different designs for that unit; most stay on the electronic drawing board & never see the light of day.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Besides the free CGR Mar-Ken plans there is a full set of paid plans. A10/A10.2/A10.3/A10p set now runs well over 50 pages. Includes expanded sets of the free CGRs, Compact Floorstanders, and both rectangular & trapezoidal Mar-Kens (with the vents down the sides), and more.

I just finished drawing up a 1st pass of the ML-Voigt Scott mentions, once complete, like the Poplar, will be a full Woden paid planset at a modest cost. And one must not forget Silbury, the big rear mouth horn.

There is also Scott’s free simple reflex box (discussion on the forum somewhere). http://wodendesign.com/downloads/simpleReflex-103-10p-plan-100214.pdf

The Jordan VTL is not very optimum, even for the Jordan drivers. Poplar is in the same style, for near wall placement, and a simplier ML-TL.

Here is the Polar teaser: http://wodendesign.com/planset/Poplar-A10x-MLTL-teaser.pdf

dave

I am not sure but I dont think the trapazoid designs are listed. I will say that the paid plan package is well worth the money the cutting pattern layouts and angles are very helpful. Probably would not have started the build on the traps without the better set of plans. I just started them Yesterday.

Note that as Scott mentions, several of the designs listed are actually for the earlier 10.2.

There will of course be aficionados of stand-mounters for various reasons, and I've got my own for preferring floorstanders. As said before - having built / heard at least a half a dozen enclosures for A10.2 and 10.3 - but admittedly not all those on the list , if you the requisite floor space, the FHXL will probably deliver the most satisfying results, followed by the Pensil / closely tied with the Brines A10M10.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Note that Erich Hartmann's box was designed for the 2nd generation Alpair 10

And even then its tuning was kinda weird. I have retooled the box (same ~outside dimensions) for the Alpair 10.3. I am currently folding it into the planset, but i may release it as a free design… email me if interested, there is certainly room for some beta builds even if i don’t freely release it.

dave

horns for alpair 10...

Hello,

my POSAUNE, KANGLING and DH-SAT-XL will work

Attachments

• DH-SAT-XLv .hweb.jpg
    DH-SAT-XLv .hweb.jpg
    414.4 KB · Views: 898
  • kangling front6.jpg
    kangling front6.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 892
  • Posaune_70115_Totale.JPG
    Posaune_70115_Totale.JPG
    191 KB · Views: 884
Great, thanks for the tips everyone, I've added them to the list.

Besides the free CGR Mar-Ken plans there is a full set of paid plans. A10/A10.2/A10.3/A10p set now runs well over 50 pages. Includes expanded sets of the free CGRs, Compact Floorstanders, and both rectangular & trapezoidal Mar-Kens (with the vents down the sides), and more.

If you have a link to the paid plans I can add to my post, or are they only available if you purchase drivers through planet_10 hifi

Do you have previews and response curves for what's included in the paid plans? I'm happy to pay for a plan, I guess I wouldn't know what to pick without seeing them though.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
...or are they only available if you purchase drivers through planet_10 hifi

The paid plans are only available thru me, if someone is interested, please email me.

Usually 1 plan for each driver (a 15mm Classic Golden Ratio usually) is made available and is on frugal-phile.com.

Do you have previews and response curves for what's included in the paid plans? I'm happy to pay for a plan, I guess I wouldn't know what to pick without seeing them though.

I have a few of those and as i work on cleaning up the plans, i am generating teasers. Some of the plansets have grown dramatically and are a bit of a mess (Alpair 10x is 70 pages so far). It is a lot of work. The A10x set is the one i am working on right now… i have grabbed the 1st 2 pages to give an idea, the drawing list is dated. I have attached it.

Each planset (usually) includes Trapezoidal & rectangular miniOnkens (vents doen the sides), trapezoids in various widths (wider ones are shorter), Classic Golden Ratio, Compact Floorstander (if the box is big enuff), Centres, custom designs (the planset gets you a custom variation if your needs are not covered) or having me put an unfinished drawing to the top of the queue, different material widths, cut-sheet recommendations, visualizations, more. They are never done…

email me for more info.

dave

Attachments

• Mar-Ken10x-preview-100318.pdf
    394.6 KB · Views: 496
Just a comment on the paid plans there is a lot of information there. The cut sheets alone are worth the price of admission the only time I erred is when I tried to outsmart the plans by doing actual measurements on the speaker got all done and had to recut the braces right at the stated dimensions on the plan.

The paid plans are only available thru me, if someone is interested, please email me.

Usually 1 plan for each driver (a 15mm Classic Golden Ratio usually) is made available and is on frugal-phile.com.

I have a few of those and as i work on cleaning up the plans, i am generating teasers. Some of the plansets have grown dramatically and are a bit of a mess (Alpair 10x is 70 pages so far). It is a lot of work. The A10x set is the one i am working on right now… i have grabbed the 1st 2 pages to give an idea, the drawing list is dated. I have attached it.

Each planset (usually) includes Trapezoidal & rectangular miniOnkens (vents doen the sides), trapezoids in various widths (wider ones are shorter), Classic Golden Ratio, Compact Floorstander (if the box is big enuff), Centres, custom designs (the planset gets you a custom variation if your needs are not covered) or having me put an unfinished drawing to the top of the queue, different material widths, cut-sheet recommendations, visualizations, more. They are never done…

email me for more info.

dave

Obviously good value for money. How do people usually select a design without response curves? Based on advice/comments in the forums from you and others that have built them?