Floor Stander MarKen for the A7P?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I picked up a pair of A7PeN drivers a week ago and am giving thought to the cabinet. I'm leaning toward a FH3. However, I love the looks of a floor standing Onken. I'm not opposed to adding a subwoofer. Is there a floor standing Onken for the A7P? Any advantages/disadvantages of a floor standing Onken over a FH3 or vice versa? I believe the FH3 digs a little deeper, but how about room placement of one compared to the other?
Thanks,
Mike

Mike, I just finished a Mar-ken last week. I had previously built a pair of FH3's with the 7.3 and, of course, had to do a side-by-side comparison. My mono, Mar-ken is a 10.3m so my comparison was not exactly apples to apples.

10.3n7.3.jpg

After listening to a single FH3.7.3 and the single Mar-ken10.3 I came away actually preferring the balanced fullness of the FH3. You noted that the FH3 can go lower...I discovered that to be true. I did not do any equalization. I then added a sub to the mix- For me, even though the FH3 is more capable in the low end, the sub adds extra goodness to both the Mar-ken and the FH3. With the sub, each of these two designs bring a huge smile to my face and I am hard-pressed to say to which is better :D. Without the sub, I choose the FH3.

I look forward to hearing of your decision and your experience.

Pete

As I've opined before, if you have the requisite floor space for the FH3 ( or XL for larger drivers), they'll almost always deliver both a fuller bottom end and more enveloping soundstage than either a floorstander like the Pensil / Compact Floor stander, or stand mount like the MarKens.

That said, I can fully empathise with folks who don't have the space, and the short CFS with angled front is an excellent compromise, particularly if you do have spots into which a small sub or two can be fit. I've built those for both the EL70 and A10, among the literally hundreds of individual drawings Dave has done for MA and Fostex drivers, he may have scribbled one out for the A7Ps,

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I have not yet drawn the Compact Floorstander for the A7p. It is the same as for the EL70/P7/A10.3 (and the smaller version of the CFS for A10p/FF165wk), but for driver detail and tuning. The key here is Compact. The FH3 will outperform it, but the CFS footprint is way less & it is shorter. With close placement to the wall and drivers that have serious LF potential like the EL70 & Pluvia Seven bass may be lower..

CFS-MKp7-extents.gif

Mike, if you want me to move this design higher in the queue — i have a couple designs ahead that people are waiting for, send me an email.

dave

I have not yet drawn the Compact Floorstander for the A7p. It is the same as for the EL70/P7/A10.3 (and the smaller version of the CFS for A10p/FF165wk), but for driver detail and tuning. The key here is Compact. The FH3 will outperform it, but the CFS footprint is way less & it is shorter. With close placement to the wall and drivers that have serious LF potential like the EL70 & Pluvia Seven bass may be lower..

CFS-MKp7-extents.gif

Mike, if you want me to move this design higher in the queue — i have a couple designs ahead that people are waiting for, send me an email.

dave

No hurry, but thanks Dave.

mike, et al - having built the CFS for EL70 as well as for A10, I can reinforce Dave’s observation the the FH for either 7 or 10cm drivers will outperform the compact enclosures in terms of LF extension and soundstage spread, but at the cost of considerably more floor space.
After all, a primary design goal of the CFS is contained in that first word.

mike, et al - having built the CFS for EL70 as well as for A10, I can reinforce Dave’s observation the the FH for either 7 or 10cm drivers will outperform the compact enclosures in terms of LF extension and soundstage spread, but at the cost of considerably more floor space.
After all, a primary design goal of the CFS is contained in that first word.

Floor space isn't an issue, so maybe I'll just stick with the FH3. One of the things I really like about this hobby (and this forum) is the variety to which one is exposed. It will still be a while before I start- lots of honey do stuff- so I'll continue to kick around the options for a while. Besides, there's always "the next" build project ;)
Thanks for the input!
Mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.