Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

combining two same full-range:does the low-range increase?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th February 2018, 11:11 PM   #41
norman bates is offline norman bates  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm trying to run woofers with the full range driver setup.

But not many 12-15's have a flat Impedance that will play well with a simple inductor.

I run my avatar wide open with the receiver rolling my 15's at 200hz at unknown steepness. My midbass needs needs a higher rollover point for the woofers.
Old 21st February 2018, 03:34 AM   #42
ewollowe is offline ewollowe  Australia
diyAudio Member

Chrisb, Planet10 I've done a castle too with some 3" tang bands but without an angled top. What are the benefits to the angle?
Old 21st February 2018, 09:23 AM   #43
midrange is offline midrange  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

To answer the original question, which seemed to be 2 full range drivers run full range. The following figures should be fairly self explanatory. Using the Monacor sph 135 AD midbass speaker which I know.

If the box is 4.9 litres with a single speaker the system Q would be 0.9, the box resonance would be 100Hz and the bass -3dB would be at 82Hz.

For 2 speakers in the same box the system Q would be 1.25, the box resonance 135Hz and the -3dB 98Hz

So you get LESS low bass with 2 drivers, and a bigger hump in output centred at the box resonance.

The sp 205 has a high 100Hz resonance, and allegedly a very high Q to start with. This means that this affect will be very pronounced.
Old 21st February 2018, 12:27 PM   #44
hm is offline hm  Europe
diyAudio Member

someone tested it:
HiFi als Hobby: Mal wieder einen Breitbander ausprobiert - Monacor SP-205/8
Old 21st February 2018, 03:46 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

My response No 43 is talking about a closed box. Other types of box will be different. For instance with an open baffle, a 2nd driver would not have a lot of affect on the bass response (both run full range).
Old 21st February 2018, 03:59 PM   #46
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by midrange View Post
For 2 speakers in the same box...
No point in using the same box, you really need to "double" it.

dave
Old 21st February 2018, 04:09 PM   #47
hm is offline hm  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hello,
no problem, but the driver has a Qts ~ 2,7, so if you get selected matched driver and 18 dB under 200 Hz, you might get a cheap solution with an aktiv sub below 130 Hz.
But an 8" for over 200 Hz is imho to large, take a good 5"FR and extra bass.
Old 21st February 2018, 04:16 PM   #48
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midrange View Post
My response No 43 is talking about a closed box. Other types of box will be different. For instance with an open baffle, a 2nd driver would not have a lot of affect on the bass response (both run full range).
Am I misunderstanding you? Multiple woofers are used in open baffle to get more bass output
Old 21st February 2018, 07:22 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

The question was 2 Monacor sp 205 with an Fs of 100Hz. I think with both run FULLRANGE on the same size baffle as one, the bass is not increased in relation to the midband+treble.
Old 23rd February 2018, 12:52 PM   #50
jimbro is offline jimbro  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewollowe View Post
Chrisb, Planet10 I've done a castle too with some 3" tang bands but without an angled top. What are the benefits to the angle?
I waited awhile to see if chrisb or planet10 would answer but I guess they missed your question so my thought is that it lengthens the distance to the ceiling delaying the reflection a bit. Front or back tilt may depend on your room size, ceiling height and listening distance. For me with my small room and ~8ft listening distance a back tilt worked best with the speakers about 2ft from the Front wall. I built 4 small sealed boxes for chr70's and tried several different orientations.

Last edited by jimbro; 23rd February 2018 at 01:07 PM. Reason: clarity

combining two same full-range:does the low-range increase?Hide this!Advertise here!